• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Aspirer

Free flow-chart programs?

This topic is 2082 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know I would benefit greatly from thinking out and designing applications (games included) before jumping straight in and doing it on the fly.  The idea of a flow-chart appeals to me more than just scrambled notes and pseudo-code. Do any of you use free flow-chart applications? If so, which would you recommend?  For "free flowchart software," Google returned Lucidchart and Smartdraw, but they both have pay-to-download options, so I'm assuming these are trial or limited editions.

I wanted to get some experienced opinions before wasting time getting something I'd end up disliking. 

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

I usually have better luck searching for "open source X", rather than "free X", because you often get "free X [limited trials]", and most "open source" software is free anyway.

I haven't used it personally, but Dia might be an option.

You might also be interested in "mindmapping" applications. XMind is a popular one. Yes, it's a paid download, but the unlimited free version is very feature-complete, and the paid version just offers more features that, while probably useful, I haven't found to be necessary in my casual once every few month usages.

Also, if you already own Microsoft Word or Excel, you can do some limited charting in those (if you use Excel, you have a more horizontally unlimited plain). Or, you can download something like Apache Open Office or LibreOffice's alternative to Microsoft Visio. I think it's called Open Office Draw, or something.

I like Dia and Umlet, but I recommend yEd for the excellent automatic layout system, which saves a lot of time and stress (no need to align boxes and route lines and adjust anchor points and move captions) and produces very high quality results.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!