• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
andrechanGD

Quick question: Tiled or not?

This topic is 2084 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Quick question. I'm trying to replicate art for this game im trying to make for school. 
It's the sort of art that's on an x and y axis but has a little bit 3d space in the back.

Something like the clocktower for snes.

Here's the link
http://www.spriters-resource.com/resources/sheets/3/2242.png

Is it tiled or not? 

If not, considering the standard size of today's games where we can go 1080p, would doing one full room cause lag with the loading?

Advertisement

It doesn't look like it's tiled, but if you're working at a larger size you might benefit from breaking it down into smaller parts.

As an example, you could use a tiled section for the wall and then place window, door and column graphics on top to achieve the same look.  You'll also be able to create a variety of rooms by putting the pieces together in different ways.

Does that help?

I agree that this does not look tiled but that the back wall and objects aligned with it could be tiled and result in the same look.  The perspective of the floor and side walls is what makes them difficult to tile.

The perspective of the floor and side walls is what makes them difficult to tile.

Even still, if you really wanted to cut down on file size the main part of one wall could be mirrored to provide the other, and the majority of most of those floors could be tiled perhaps with a little scaling; it all depends how much work you want to put into breaking parts down and whether or not that effort is worthwhile for the results.

I think the effort would definitely be worthwhile for the back wall, but may or may not be worthwhile for more difficult elements like the floors and side walls.

Is the game for PC, or for a more limited platform such as mobile?

It's gonna be a pc game. It's just my final project for school. Nothing serious. Gonna work on it with an engine i will build though.

The side walls shouldnt be tiled? 

Clock tower's side walls have doors and they are animated to open when you touch them. Does that mean the whole room has a sprite sheet?

A reasonably modern PC should be able to handle the sort of game you're describing without having to go to excessive efforts optimising like you would need to do for mobile.

I would suggest that:

• Each side wall should be a single large graphic; if you wanted to optimise further you could mirror the left-hand image for the right-hand side, but to keep things simple you can just have two separate images.  The doors will then be a separate animated sprite which you will draw on top of the side walls.
  • The floor should be a single large image; again, you could break it into pieces if you wanted to optimise.
  • The back wall should be a tall and thin texture that you will tile horizontally to form the wall.  Additional features such as windows, paintings, or columns will then be separate (possibly animated if you like) images which you would draw on top of the tiling texture to provide a fully detailed wall.

This would be a reasonably flexible system that shouldn't be too wasteful of memory, but may be more complex than other options.

You could very likely get away with a single large image for the majority of each room however, and then simply add smaller images for any animated features such as the doors.  This method would be simpler to code, but would be a little less flexible and may result in each room consuming more memory.

Does that help? smile.png

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!