• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nicholas Kong

Is hacky code allowed in industry?

29 posts in this topic

I find myself doing something like this alot. Basically setting a condition to false to avoid the if block from running more than once. 

If I do not turn it off, the mushroom will keep appearing.

The hacky code is isHit = false;

Given a update method that constantly get executed from the game loop in this pseudo code.

[code]
public class Mario{

public void collide()
{
        Block.setHit(true)
}

}
[/code]

[code]
public class Block
{
    public void setHit(boolean hit)
    {
        this.hit = hit;
    }

public void update(long milliseconds)
   {
      if(isHit)
      {
                // hacky code
                isHit = false;
                Mushroom mushroom = new Mushroom(50,50);
                Game.getInstance().add(mushroom);
      }

}
}

So my question is: is hacky code allowed in the industry?

Do industry professionals or game developers use hacky code in their game code?

I always found hacky code to fix all the bugs in my game and let me progress faster in my game development process.

Edited by warnexus

There are kludges in any industry, though with varying degrees of frequency. The question isn't whether or not they exist but why they happen. I've only done games as a hobby, so I can't comment much on patterns for that industry, but my experience with them is that a kludge happens when deadlines loom, developers gloom, and project managers give out ultimatums of doom. In general, a kludge is a sign that either your design isn't working, you don't understand how to work with your design, or you're in a very funky context. The last one being rather uncommon.

Given that Mario.collide is calling a method on Block, is there some reason you can't have Block.createMushroom or Block.collide(thingHittingMe)? Does it need to be in update for some reason? An event makes more sense to me than an update loop for a context like this--the collision happens once at one moment and really only needs to fire off, "Hey, I've hit something!" to the interested parties (usually those involved in the collision). It's a lot cheaper than every few milliseconds, "Am I hit? Am I hit? Am I hit? I'm hit! Am I hit? Am I hit?"

I interned at Microsoft and before I could commit my code to the master code repository other people had to review it and they would point out anything I did poorly. They would sometimes suggest alternatives but other times I had to fix it up myself. I realized that many times I would to a hacky solution more because I didn't want to take the time to find a better solution but in the long run you save time by making good design decisions for more elegant solutions. Hacky solutions usually are parts of more bugs later on. If it is allowed will depend on where you work but as I a rule of thumb I think it is good to avoid the hacky solutions, with the possible exception of if you are working on a prototype that you will throw away later.

It depends how close you are to a deadline tongue.png

If the game has two months of work left before it's finished, but the publisher wants to see a working/finished version of the game in two-weeks, then all sorts of horrible looking "duct tape" code starts appearing, which may work for now, but is barely managing to hold itself together!

Hacky code is frowned on and there are code reviews and code style guidelines to try and prevent it.  However hacky code still gets through.  In the games industry you are likely to find a lot more hacky code than anywhere else though because most games code is throwaway code.

Hacky code is not allowed, but when there are deadlines is tolerated. I think that sums it pretty much.

I'm actually working in a product for a client and from time to time he asks for some more functionalities. It happens that if I would go the safe route and take my time to design proper and clean code, my clients go hunting me constantly asking for progress and they go with a bad feeling about my services. If i do hacky code, I deliver much faster and they say ohh you are very productive, but its obviously a trap not only for them but for myself. What happens is that after two or three updates, code gets messy and difficult to modify and even understand after some time since its writing, you already know the story. What I do now is to clean an even rewrite those hacky lines of code only after delivering even when they dont expect a second release. Its more work for me but with this I get saved from the chaos, they get a free update and the code is ready for being upgraded with more functionality if the client requests it.

Edited by Adyrhan

If you’d taken all those times you ran away from proper design via hacks and instead took the time to do it right, the easy solution to the problem you suggested would be obvious to you by now. Every time you use hacky code you miss out on a chance to learn. Remember that.

I will bear in mind. Wow! Thanks for the truth about hacks.

I have seen something similar to what you are referring to as a "hack" many times in the software development industry. I am not sure if this is the official name for it, but at my job we refer to it as a "latch". It is usually used to stop normal functionality when the form "IsLoading" or something of the sort.

Where I work, hacky code appears:

- When the programmer is not experienced enough and/or does not care enough to write good code.

- When the system has already been implemented (with nice, clean code) and the product managers decide to drastically change it close to a deadline.

- When a programmer leaves the company without documenting his systems and another programmer is told to make changes to the system close to a deadline.

Sometimes you need hacky solutions for bugs that are out  of your control. Yesterday I fixed bug where new Apple A7 chip renderered pure black if there were shadow receivers but no casters with horrible kludge where I render small sub pixel size triangle to center of shadow map. This fixed nasty bug just before deadline.

Your collision callbacks should be more robust. You should have OnCollideEnter, OnCollide, OnCollideExit. Enter and Exit will only ever be called once per collision with a given object. OnCollide would fire each frame. This way you can put your mushroom creation in the OnCollideEnter so it's only called once per collision.

Who cares if the industry allows hacky code. You should try to not make it hacky if possible. If you don't have control over your collision library and it doesn't support the enter/exit thing then you have to do what you have to do to make it work. It just so happens that you picked a path that is a little wasteful.

I always found hacky code to fix all the bugs in my game and let me progress faster in my game development process.

This is another way of saying you get lazy. It's not the end of the world. We all get lazy in different aspects of our lives (even football players who get paid millions sometimes "take plays off"), but it's important to know that's what you are doing (if it's a hobby project). Don't deny that fact or try to justify it in any way.

When the programmer is not experienced enough and/or does not care enough to write good code.

No! I do not want to be that guy. Okay. I am def going to have to find a better way soon enough. This is the toughest part.

The amount of hacky code in professional game code depends entirely on how strict the team's leaders are. I've been on teams where every bug I fix seemed to be the result of some hack, and I've been on teams that are very strict with code reviews and would not allow hacks at all. Generally the latter teams had better products commercially and critically than the others.

Deadlines and laziness generally are the main causes for hacks. On my current team, the only acceptable time for a hack is right before going into certification, and only if it's a localized targetted fix where the proper solution (which we also have prepared) would require extensive testing since the fix touches many game components. Generally the process there would be to send the hack (after testing) through certification and testing the proper fix extensively while waiting to hear back from first parties (Sony/Microsoft). If there are bugs preventing certification we would evaluate our testing on the proper fix and include it in the next submission. If the games are certified with the hack, then so be it.

This is another way of saying you get lazy. It's not the end of the world. We all get lazy in different aspects of our lives (even football players who get paid millions sometimes "take plays off"), but it's important to know that's what you are doing (if it's a hobby project). Don't deny that fact or try to justify it in any way.

Interesting statement. I will come up with a better design to avoid hacky code or latch. Thanks.

I wrote some hacky code back when I was prototyping the rendering part of my engine out - just trying to get stuff together and render some meshes on the screen..

well I forgot to go back and fix it..

3 months later certain types of meshes would scale and rotate what seemed in a random fashion - took 1 week to find my problem - took about 30 mins to rewrite the bad code...

so - I think most of the time it pays to take the 30 mins rather than the week

I recently was faced with a bug which was pretty annoying:

periodically, all the point-light sources would momentarily fail, causing the scene to periodically go into full darkness.

long story short, eventually figured out that it occurred whenever the shadow maps were being redrawn (basically redrawing the scene via FBOs and a cube-map), but would fix itself whenever the scene-visibility was re-evaluated (via occlusion queries).

spent a while trying to figure out just where/how the OpenGL state was getting messed up here, but couldn't locate the issue.

eventually, I just hacked it, so that the shadow-maps would always be redrawn prior to re-evaluating visibility (rather than afterwards), which fixed the issue (even if the actual cause of the bug was not determined).

better still would have been to try to properly hunt down and eliminate the bug though.

What's "hacky" about your code?   You seem to have a requirement that collisions with a block should power up a mushroom only once, and have implemented it as such.    

Edited by Snovi

The "hacky" part is that it's wasting cycles by checking an if statement on every update or a block. The more block objects he has in his level the more wasteful his code becomes. This situation in itself isn't the worse but if he does things like this all over the place it could add up. The better approach would be to have an OnCollisionEnter() for Mario which gets called once and only once per collision. Then inside this event create the mushroom. It's more efficient.

I tend to think about implementation details in terms of the mechanics of the game. Your example suggests a mario clone sort of block triggering powerups. From that perspective, you need to first think about what the mechanism for triggering the blocks is going to be. Simply colliding with the blocks is too low level of a mechanism with which to trigger the spawning of the powerup. You want mario to trigger the powerup when he jumps upward into the block and collides, and also if the game has the power drop thing that allows you to smash down from a jump with it. Because the triggering of the blocks should be dependent on the type of action that is being performed, it would make more sense to generalize these activities within the state inside the Mario object class, such that when you jump up into something, or smash down onto something, you are calling functions that provide that context, and the objects being hit can respond accordingly.

Some example pseudocode

enum HitFeedback
{
    FEEDBACK_NOHIT,
    FEEDBACK_HIT,
};

class Mario : public GameObject
{
    void collide( collisionevent )
    {
        HitFeedback hit = FEEDBACK_HIT;

// assuming -z is down
        if ( collisionevent.normal.z < 0.5 ) // did we jump up into the object?
            hit = collisionevent.otherObject.HeadSmashed( this );
        else if ( collisionevent.normal.z > 0.5  && IsSmashingDown()  ) // did we fall down into the object in the smash down state?
            hit = collisionevent.otherObject.SmashDown( this );

if ( hit == FEEDBACK_HIT )
        // handle landing on slopes or ground to change state to walking, etc
        if ( hit == FEEDBACK_NOHIT )
        // allow the character to continue its current physics state, if flying, keep flying, if smashing, keep smashing
    }
}

// Then your various other game objects can easily implement responses to the game mechanics available by your player

class BreakableBlock : public GameObject
{
    void HeadSmashed( Mario & player )
    {
        Break();
        return FEEDBACK_HIT;
    }
    void SmashDown( Mario & player )
    {
        return FEEDBACK_NOHIT; // so that mario can continue smashing down a column of breakable blocks
    }
}

class PowerupBlock : public GameObject
{
    {
        // implemented via a state as it likely involves playing an animation and isnt just an immediate spawning of the powerup
        ChangeState( SPAWN_POWERUP );
        return FEEDBACK_HIT;
    }
    {
        ChangeState( SPAWN_POWERUP );
        return FEEDBACK_HIT;
    }
}
class CoinBlock : public GameObject
{
    {
        if ( mCoinsRemaining > 0 )
        {
            player.AddEvent( AddCoin( 1 );
            --mCoinsRemaining;
            if ( mCoinsRemaining <= 0 )
                ChangeState( DEACTIVATED ); // animate, disable callbacks, etc
        }
        return FEEDBACK_HIT;
    }
    {
        // same action as HeadSmashed
        return HeadSmashed( player );
    }
}

class Turtle : public GameObject
{
    {
        // hitting a turle from below is damaging, and should probably be treated as solid
        player.AddEvent( Damage( 1 ) );
        return FEEDBACK_HIT;
    }
    {
        ChangeState( FLIPPED_OVER );
        // add some small velocity so the turle gets knocked to the side a bit from where mario smashed down
        return FEEDBACK_NOHIT; // so that mario can continue smashing down to the ground
    }
}

Implement things with respect to game mechanics, and not so much the low level functionality of collision, physics, sound. Those low level systems will often be intricately tied to the function of certain mechanics. In marios case there will be some degree of complexity in interpreting the physics and collision information into a way that gets the actual game mechanics working as you want, but most of those details would ideally be encapsulated into the objects where it matters, such as your Mario class in a simple implementation. The game objects can provide some amount of hit information back from its callbacks such as in this case, so that the type of object can propagate back and effect