Amazon SNS for turn based multiplayer mobile game

Started by
2 comments, last by adoado 10 years, 4 months ago

Hello Community,

I want to implement a turn based multiplayer game for mobile devices and I am looking for an network solution.

Now, there is google play game services, which seems really nice. Unfortantly it forces players to have a google account for playing. I do not like that.

Instead I would prefer a solution, where the player has the choice of logging in with a google or facebook account, create a game specific account or play as guest. As far as I can tell, that is not possible with google play services.

So I am looking at other cloud services. And I was wondering if amazon SNS would be suited.

As anyone experience with Amazon SNS for games? I would have to do the "login via facebook/google" myself, but I hope I can do that ...

My Idea would be:

* Create a amazon SNS topic for every new game.

* Every player of the game subscribes to the topic.

* Game turns are send via the topic.

Does that work in practice?

Thanks for sharing thoughts and experience!

Advertisement

I do not know what the actual latencies of SNS are, but for a turn-based game, I believe that can work.

If I were you, though, I would be very careful about costs involved, as well as the possibility of cheating inherent in a client-state-based game.

An option might be to build a simple message exchange on a server fabric like node.js. You can easily get to thousands of players across thousands of games in a single process on node.js, and use HTTP long-polling for message exchange to have the highest possible compatibility with various web gateways etc.

enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

If I were you, though, I would be very careful about costs involved, as well as the possibility of cheating inherent in a client-state-based game.

An option might be to build a simple message exchange on a server fabric like node.js. You can easily get to thousands of players across thousands of games in a single process on node.js, and use HTTP long-polling for message exchange to have the highest possible compatibility with various web gateways etc.

Mmh, ok. But than I have to get a node.js host and have to worry about server availability.

amazon SNS costst 50cent/Million messages.

I am wondering what other developers experience on this is ...

I've used SNS on our website (www.yellloh.com) and while it's not used as an in-game process, it is a great system. I'm just thinking it might be a little heavyweight for a simple message dispatcher. But the API is simple to use, so have a play :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement