• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
avidgamer0929

Looking to start a group of medium-skilled coders/gamers

This topic is 2078 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, and before you ask, I did not post this in classified because it is not that official. It is a simple project i'm starting, where i'm going to start a group of 5 - 6 programmers with different skills and talents, and we shall share our knowledge with eachother, benefiting in the process. We will help each other complete projects, and every once in awhile we will all work on a big project. Anyone interested? Just post if you want more info!

And mods, please move this if its in the wrong section, thanks.

About myself: I am 18, and have been coding for 4 - 5 years. My main language is java, and that's what i'd prefer to work with. So consider that before posting!

Edited by avidgamer0929

Advertisement

I'm a beginner-intermediate programmer(also with most of my experience in java) and I'd be interested in something like this.

I'm cautious about getting involved in a big project with a bunch of other inexperienced people right away because as I have seen about 95% of those projects don't work out and most people leave or just stop responding within a week or two. However I do think it'd be fun and very helpful if we could all work on small projects together, or help eachother out with our own individual projects for a while. And once we get used to working together and get to know eachother better we could plan out a bigger project for us all to work on together, after working together for a while we will be much better able to plan out a project according to our strengths and abilities and to actually get it done. Also by that point we will be better at and more used to communicating with eachother and collaborating. I think that would be the safest and best way to collaborate with other beginners/intermediate level programmers and to actually complete a project(which is apparently very rare among beginners, especially in teams).

If you are looking to do something like this, rather than dive right into a project, I'd be very happy to join you and maybe help find some more people to join us. I am pretty good with Java, I am familiar with a few different java game programming libraries but have only just barely used straight opengl/openglES(I am definitely willing and capable to learn it very quickly though if we decide to use straight opengl, that's been on my list of htings to learn for a while anyway). I am best experienced with LibGDX and highly recommend it to any java programmers, but would be perfectly OK with using something else. I also am actually half decent at pixel art, but my art ability is random and I'm great at some things(spaceships and stuff like that) while pretty horrible at others(People/sprites! I would be willing to practice and improve in this area though). That being said I'm still primarily a programmer.

I think working with others and learning to organize/delegate work among team members so that everyone can work together productively and learning to work on the same codebase with OTHER PEOPLE is an invaluable skill that people in our position often lack, just because we don't have the opportunity to learn those things. So I am actually extremely interested in doing something like this to improve these skills. It would be a massive learning experience for all of us because we can learn those invaluable skills and we're also bound to learn many other things from eachother just by working together. 

Let me know if you're still interested in doing this, if so I may know one or two more people in our position who may want to join us. I'm currently putting a lot of effort into growing as a programmer and this is a perfect opportunity!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!