• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyCode

How many influancing weights?

This topic is 2071 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I wonder how many influencing weights per vertex will result in just accurate animation. I gess two is the most minimum, but I do not know wheather to use 3 or 4 . Any ideas?

Advertisement

Most engines that I've worked with support 4 as standard. When I worked on Wii, we actually LOD'ed it so it would be 4/2/1 depending on the distance ;)

DX11, PS4 and XBone games are trending towards 8 weights for the face

I wonder how they weight the mesh then. Do they use some procedural try&see tecnique? Considering other technologic facts, wheather the weights are dynamic or constant. I think they will go for per vertex animation in near future.

DX11, PS4 and XBone games are trending towards 8 weights for the face

I wonder how they weight the mesh then. Do they use some procedural try&see tecnique? Considering other technologic facts, wheather the weights are dynamic or constant. I think they will go for per vertex animation in near future.

Check out the presentation "Ryse: Son of Rome - Defining the next gen"
http://www.crytek.com/cryengine/presentations

They do both skinning and vertex animation. Both have pros & cons, so take the best of both.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!