Choosing right engine

Started by
5 comments, last by Winfield 10 years, 5 months ago

Hi,

I want to start develop FPS game for multiplayer only. I want to choose the right engine for the project, and i am stuck between

XNA and Unity. Since it is a multiplayer game, I can't find info on how server side is implemented and distributed and it is a crucial part of the project.

Thanks in advanced

Advertisement

XNA is more flexible, it also offers a xbox networking library. If you want to build it for PC you need to come up with your own or use a existing network library for C#. XNA is harder, you would need to create you map editor and shaders from scratch where Unity comes with a editor and has handy visual tools for building shaders. Unity would definatly get the job done faster.

Another option would be UDK, it is a very nice engine and has everything in it to create a basic FPS game. It comes with an editor and shader tool like unity too.

you would need to create you map editor

Unless he's also creating his own map format, this just isn't true.

I'd have a hard time going with XNA anyway, given Microsoft's shaky (and diminishing) support for the platform. Starting a new project in it is just asking for trouble, and porting from XNA to anything else when the well dries up is going to be a pain.

Yes, this is the part of the thing, I want to create my own map format. Thanks guys for answers.

porting from XNA to anything else when the well dries up is going to be a pain.

Porting to MonoGame should be relatively painless as far as porting goes. :)

- Jason Astle-Adams

you would need to create you map editor

Unless he's also creating his own map format, this just isn't true.

I was actually talking about xna without extensions or libraries. You could say that for pretty much anything since for you wouldn't be the first and there is probably a library out there.

I was actually talking about xna without extensions or libraries. You could say that for pretty much anything since for you wouldn't be the first and there is probably a library out there.

Why would someone reject extensions or libraries? Do starting indie developers have so much time and focus that reinventing the wheel isn't disastrous?

(I realize he said he wanted to make his own map format. I'm just going to ignore that for now because I think you and I are speaking more generally)

Porting to MonoGame should be relatively painless as far as porting goes.

Then he should use MonoGame in the first place! tongue.png

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement