Which is Best Zbrush or Blender?

Started by
9 comments, last by 3Ddreamer 10 years, 5 months ago

I am planning to create a 3d game. Which will include animations + characters + rigging. so which software is the best.The engine i am using is unity 3d 4.2. So i am confused which software i should use blender or zbrush.

Advertisement
Blender and ZBrush are very different software packages. They are not, in my opinion, directly comparable and they are not the only available alternatives. What's your budget? Do you have some experience in one of those packages? Do you have any other artistic skill (for example sculpting or drawing or .. )?

Well i am using blender for now...know the full controls...then somebody told me that zbrush is better...was really confused by the answer of the person...i am a total newbie...

Well i am using blender for now...know the full controls...then somebody told me that zbrush is better...was really confused by the answer of the person...i am a total newbie...

ZBrush is primarily a sculpting tool, Blender is a complete 3D package (Allthough Blender does have some sculpting functionality as well and newer versions of ZBrush have basic animation support and a few other non sculpting features)

ZBrush isn't really an alternative to Blender. (it is a great tool to use alongside something like Blender or Maya, but it is not a replacement for those tools)

[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Keep using Blender, and if you come to a point where there are things that don't work well for you, then investigate how other programs do those particular things and get trial-versions to compare.

HI

i don't want to be rude but how old are you and ever heard of google?

here is a good tip before knowing what you want to do ,

do some research before asking a question,

that's what i also do :D

regards

HyperV

HI

i don't want to be rude but how old are you and ever heard of google?

that's what i also do biggrin.png

regards

HyperV

Well thanks for the advice...I first searched Google then came here...I am 18 years old. As I mentioned earlier I am a newbie to modelling so I dont know everything...hence I came here for advice.

If you need help getting started, I can help.

Zbrush is a sculpting Software (a new and popular way of modeling)

Blender, as someone mentioned is a complete 3d package. What that means is that Blender can not only model, but animate and compose movies, and make games etc. You can even sculpt in Blender.

The most popular type of 3d modeling is Box modeling. Blender can do this.

A free alternative to Zbrush is Sculptris (if you want an idea on how 3d sculpting works)

There is also an app on the Ipad called 123D Creature that is more similar to what Zbrush can do.(free)

Usually people use Zbrush alongside a complete 3d package. They sculpt in Zbrush and animate in the 3d package.

Blender is the most popular free 3d package. Commercial packages are Autodesk Maya and Autodesk 3dsmax (expensive)

Zbrush is expensive also.

Many say the learning curve for Blender is steep (I think it is also, but it is much better than it used to be).

But for now, if you don't have the big bucks, Blender is what you will be best off using. Hope this helps.

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

Hi,

Two main factors dominate the smaller issues when it comes to art creation:

1) Workflow pipeline is often heavily influenced by the development framework which is chosen. For instance, jMonkey is tailored for Blender but other options might be workable depending on the development framework. A workflow pipeline may be established by you in Blender, 3DS Max, or other comprehensive software which has all or nearly all the things that you need in it.

Once you gain software and artistic skill, then you will find more agility to adapt your own workflow pipeline, which can change to demands. I have used Wings 3D ( no cost, for raw organic 3D and sculpting tool - none better for the basic, UV mapping, and adding base texture ), Blender ( use it same as Wings 3D plus some other functions ), Deep Explorer (for file conversion and simple animations ), 3DS Max (I hate creating 3D work in it but default animations or Collada plug-in are amazing as well as shaders and bump maps ), Poser ( I am still undecided on this one ), and I haven't used Sculptris in quite a while but some people are hooked on it. Google Sketchup is okay for beginners.

As you gain experience then your workflow pipeline will change and adapt to needs, sometimes using 3-5 software and a few applications such as encoders.

2) Personal preference is a major factor! Some love a certain software and others hate it. It realistically takes a couple years to make the rounds to different things.

don't want to be rude but how old are you and ever heard of google?

that's what i also do

He asked for "the best" which no one can determine by a search engine. We know that the best is purely a matter of preference. It is hard to find objective reviews on 3D software.

A better search would have been to use the search function here at game dev, since this topic has been covered a number of times here in the last year.

Visual Arts - Forum, GameDev

http://www.gamedev.net/forum/18-visual-arts/

Clinton

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

@3Ddreamer.

Hey! You mentioned some good stuff there! I didn't want to throw all of those up on this post though hehe.

I also use Wings3D to model (prefer it over Blender any day).

I have found some good uses for Poser. You can use a figure in poser to make bvh animations that can be imported into Blender. The newest version of Poser (Poser 10/Poser 2012) is GREAT! It uses Pixar style rendering now and also has Bullet Physics. It is relatively cheap for a program for entry to 3d animation. I think it is worth it for about $250.

A free alternative to Poser is Daz Stuido (but you pay for content like characters and stuff). I prefer to pay only $25-75 for older versions of poser ($75 for poser 9 on Amazon now).

Google Sketchup is the best software for constructing 3d levels. It was actually used to make the levels for Drakes Uncharted. I use it personally to make the initial parts of my level. Then I import it into my 3d package to make it better (Blender). So many uses for Google Sketchup however. I use Version 8 which is free to use for commercial use (newest version is owned by Trimble now and they took that away in their licences)

Sculptris is awesome, but it still isn't Zbrush (Zbrush has so much you can do with it)

Whew, okay, perhaps one day I should make a detailed document on all the software I have used (I have used a lot) hehe. Take care.

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement