Your favorite Game Engine

Started by
11 comments, last by Ultrahead 10 years, 3 months ago

Unity is great but sometimes it feels like it was originally meant for artists. For large projects, the entity-based model could collide with OOP which can make programmers' life a pain. Debugging is not easy. Not always you can have control of your game's execution from code. Creating custom shaders is not straightforward. And you'd eventually need extra cash to buy plug-ins to fill the gaps.

Don't misunderstand me, I use Unity a lot. It has a strong community, it's indie-friendly and I'm happy with the way it evolves, but sometimes, when requirements don't allow me to use it or when I need more control over code and or get my hands dirty with low-level coding, I look for other solutions.

Exactly what I'm saying Ultrahead, Unity can be hard work for large game development or competing with higher end markets. They sure could do with a 64-bit editor!!.

Advertisement

the entity-based model could collide with OOP which can make programmers' life a pain

If you prefer to code in Unity with a more OO style, then check out the StrangeIoC framework which will help enforce OO style. I've been using it for awhile now and I won't develop another Unity game without it.

Thanks for sharing it here: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/PedroGuida/20140114/208519/So_XNA_is_dead_now_what.php

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement