• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Arannir

Pixel Art Animations

This topic is 2076 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello,
I've recently started to create pixel art but I want to animate it. Any programs that can both create pixel art and animate it? Or should I just create the art then edit it together?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Arannir

Advertisement

You should check the pinned topic right above about 3d/2d art tools.  It has most likely all of the suggestions we would give you and more as the information has been collected.

I own pro motion, which is probably the "best" as in higher end features specific for 2d pixel art.  Photoshop also contains many of the same features on a higher level, but the animation system isn't the same...  Many people use other tools as well, but most of them are lacking in some or other features, though they work around them to get the results they need, especially when you are working with zero budget.

I for one am better at 3d art than 2d art.  But I like 2d game creation better for many reasons, so I use Blender to render out 3d objects onto 2d images.  If you take into consideration the how much detail will actually get drawn, you can get pretty OK results that way, and I find it pretty easy to maintain materials(textures, etc...) in Blender to keep things consistently in the same style, which can be difficult to do at times.

Gimp is a free program that can do pixel art animations like this one I made with it.  Gimp is not specialized for animation or pixel art, instead it's a flexible tool similar to Photoshop (but free), which has an animation preview utility among its many other utilities, and an option to export to animated gif format among its many other format options.

stickwalkright.gif

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!