MSBuild custom build extensions

Started by
1 comment, last by Ryan_001 10 years, 4 months ago

Not to long ago I wrote a custom .hlsl compiler that added a few options I've always wanted. Works great. I've now decided I'd like to integrate it into visual studio, I was thinking like .masm does through the 'Build Customization' menu. I've looked over the masm.targets, .xml, and .props files, as well as read everything I can about MSBuild. But try as I might I've had no luck.

Has anyone on here had any experience with that? Any tutorials that might explain things in detail? The best I've come across with my google attempts have been a few MSBlog posts, but none address many of the issues I'm having. A number of the xml elements in the masm files aren't even listed anywhere in the documention. I've tried pulling things out and putting things in 1/2 dozen different ways and have had no success.

I'd like to be able to add a custom task to VS, bind it to a file extension, and have a custom property window so I can set the properties of the file. Any ideas?

Advertisement

I know pretty much nothing about MSBuild other than how to build it but a rather goofy suggestion would be to look at the CMake code which seems to support it just fine. Given the lack of documentation on the system that I could find, looking as existing generator code might be the best way to get started. Other than that, really can't think of much to help out here.

Thanks for the advice. Over the past few days with a TON of trial and error I was able to piece something together that works.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement