• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Xperience

Problem with Rendering

This topic is 2071 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,

I have a problem with rendering scene. I draw scene (with displacement mapping, tessellation, lights, textures etc.), but it looks bad like flickering happend(I'm not sure).

How can I prevent it and why it happend?

I give an executable here, thanks for advice.

Advertisement

Flickering usually means something is not initialized correctly, but can also mean other things like memory corruption. In any case, there isn't an easy solution, you'll need to debug it.

To root cause it, try and disable parts of your code/shaders, see if you can find which shader/technique causes it. When you find it, work your up from that, or post the problematic code.

Can't run your exe, as it seems to require Win8 (I'm still on Win7) - you are using CreateFile2, which in not supported in Win7.

It's not like flickering but something similar. It's only visible when I'm moving, if I stayed scene is clear and nice.

What do you mean CreateFile2?

What should I turn on/off for correctly compiling for Win7?

I'm using Win8 and if I used compatibility mode, it works.

CreateFile2() is a new Win8 API. It's probably being used by one of your utility libraries.

If it only happens when your moving, maybe something is wrong with your camera?

Anyway, your question is way to general. You didn't even specify which language/framework/engine you are using.

Do as I suggested before - simplify your renderer (remove passes, use simple shaders) and try to identify the exact piece of code that causes the flickering.

CreateFile2 was in DDSTextureLoader, I modify it and it should works now.

I use C++ and DirectX11 (no engine)

I don't know how I should call it, it's better to see it.

Some of your textures have no mipmaps (the columns). Adding those fixes the flickering, even though there are other issues.

Edited by Mona2000

My bad, it was StoneMap that was missing them and causing the flickering ground. Unless by flickering you mean the tearing/visible lines effect, in which case it's probably something wrong in your tesselation stage.

Thanks, I fixed StoneMap, but it is the same. With and without tesselation is the same too.

Edited by Xperience

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!