building/making a game: where to start?

Started by
12 comments, last by TomKQT 10 years, 5 months ago

I'm new to this forum and I think this is where I should present myself for what my doubts are.

Firstly, I have a bit knowledge of OOP such as C# and Java (new to java and studiyng it) and have a basic idea for a game.

My concerns about making/creating a game is not related with programming languages.

Secondly, I will explain what I want:

1. I always wanted to create a mmorpg (I know this consumes a lot of time, knowledge and pain :P), or at least playing around with it [ programming my own game + playing it ] for self-knowledge purposes.

2. I simply want to start from scratch, making my own errors & learning

3. To begin with, the game will be a basic stand-alone RPG (character choice [or at least the commonly «Warrior»], a test map, skills, inventory, and lately NPC's plus other relative RPG stuff)

I have read some info but I have't found what exactly I want: I want to know where to start making a game apart of knowing programming languages.

All I want is something like teaches me how to start game planning, create all the game logic, game engine, game loop, I mean, the basic structure of RPG game (tutorials/sources/free books for JAVA would be great).

I might sound a bit confusing, but I hope someone understand what I really want.

Thanks in advance for any response

Advertisement

If you want to start out using the Unity3D engine, the Walker Boys have the best tutorials on it:

http://www.walkerboystudio.com/

They go from beginning to end on making a game in Unity. They even make a mario style game. They do the scripting and everything. They even have art tutorials.

Everything you learn there can be applied elsewhere.

If you want tips on level design you can try The World of Level Design

http://worldofleveldesign.com/

Hope this helps a bit.

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

Doesn't 3D Buzz have a unity tutorial series for making an MMO? May be worth checking out.

ok.

get graphics up and running so you can render things(Some graphic API). also meshes shaders all that

set up sound so you can play sound and stream sounds(your fab sound API).

design UI system dialogboxes and things.

work out what terrain type you want to use .

create terrain get working renders culls you will need to make tools Eg map editor.

find data structure to hold game objects for fast removal and incerting based on your game type.

make particle systems get this working. fire, water, bombs.

design how your objects will use graphics.

work out a rendering system .

processing system(where all objects get updated).

work out motion component.

work out what type of weapons are needed get them working make them a component and not hard coded(fire type projectiles or straight motion)

create game objects.

just some basic steps I follow when working on my RTS games just to get them up and running the you refine things.

Hi,

Take a look at jMonkey, XNA, MonoGame/Mono, and Unity 3D. SharpDX is worth a look, too. http://www.sharpdx.org/about/features

Once you settle on a game engine, then assemble a workflow pipeline of software and application to go to work.

By the way, I prefer Eclipse for Java and Visual Studio for C#. Deciding on an art creation software such as Blender (among many others) early and getting your coding set for importing that art work in a 2D and/or 3D file format is high on your priority.

You need basics on program instruction early, too, or you will get lost in the jungle of information. Best to stay on the beaten, proven paths for beginners.

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

Thanks all for the replies. I will soon check every advice you gave me.

another thing... remember the pokemon gold, blue, red games for gameboy?

How hard could be making a RPG similar to that? Should I use tilemaps or there is anything better? I read that I should start with 2D and then try 3D

lol, I remember when I came to the forums with dreams and aspirations of an MMORPG for my first game...

People had the decency to shatter my dreams with the reality of "You'll never manage to make a successful, complete MMORPG on your own."

Now we link them to MMO tutorials...

I blame Obama.

That aside:

My concerns about making/creating a game is not related with programming languages...
All I want is something like teaches me how to start game planning, create all the game logic, game engine, game loop, I mean, the basic structure of RPG

That's very much related to programming, lol. But if you're that new to game developing, I'd recommend checking out the same tutorials people linked me to: Pong, Break-out, Tetris, Mario, in that order. They're small enough to help you focus on gaining understanding of the game loop and the logic somewhat systematically.

Tutorials on huge games will do 2 things: 1) assume a good working knowledge over things you don't know about--namely the things you mentioned above; 2) or/and glaze over the details of "WHY" you're doing what they tell you to do.

Once you have what you feel is a working understanding of game planning and logic, etc., then consider checking out some of the tutorials these people are linking you to.

My personal opinion is that if you want to make an RPG, the easiest way to proceed would be to find an existing RPG and copy the source code in its entirety, make sure you can get it to work on your system, and then go in and start changing things around and customizing it. I think you can learn more about cars by working on a actual functioning car, then by trying to create a new car from scratch.

To be honest an attempt at an MMO is a fools errand anyway. It's not that the idea is impossible to learn just that even the most simple of what most people think about when they say "MMORPG" is such a huge time investment that it's almost a waste of time to consider doing it solo.

If anything if you get to the level where a simpler MMO is within grasp you'll probably already be able to plan out the massive amount of work you'll need to do to get it running, there's a reason for AAA starting an MMO is like declaring to your fellow rod fishing captains you're going to go buy a cruise liner.

Personally I would pick what aspect of it interest you the most and start learning that. Do you like the multiplayer aspect? Maybe look into that, or if the RPG gameplay interests you, look into that.

I myself have an idea for an MMO i'd like to go after some day but I'd have to take a long time to collect my thoughts on it and plan it before even starting such a big project by myself, help would be invaluable.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement