Search the best multiplatform framework for developping games

Started by
8 comments, last by Nypyren 10 years, 5 months ago

Hi,

We are a software development company and we are trying to develop cross-platform mobile applications (Android, iOS and Windows Phone) for children (games , multimedia, puzzles, slideshows...).

After several researches on Internet, we found that Xamarin with Monogame (continuity of XNA) allows us to develop cross-platform applications.
For this, we would like to know:

1 / Is Monogame the most interesting framework for cross-platforms mobiles applications oriented games (multimedia, puzzles, animation, slideshow ...) or are there other frameworks oriented games/multimedia operating under Xamarin, to create applications with C # with a single code in order to build them in multi-platform (iOS , Android and Windows Phone) .

2 / What are the limits and constraints of this framework (Monogame) oriented mobile cross-platforms?

3 / Do you have any advice for us for the development of cross-platform mobile applications?

Please take few minutes to help us because since almost 2 months, we are not able to find a solution within our teams.

Best regards.

Advertisement

I never worked with Monogame so I cannot really say if it's the best or not. But if I where you I would definitely check out Unity3D before deciding what to use.

Thanks, but we don't make 3d games because we want to develop 2D games such us puzzles and simple animation

Unity has good support for 2D games too.

Like Mike said.

I don't know if Unity3D is multiplatform or not but MonoGame allows me to develop one code to make a multiplatform application.

Can Unity3D do this ?

And what about the size of the games of Unity3D because MonoGame has a probleme with the size in megabytes of the game.

I don't know if Unity3D is multiplatform or not but MonoGame allows me to develop one code to make a multiplatform application.

Can Unity3D do this ?

http://unity3d.com/unity/multiplatform

If you have a strong C++ background you might want to try Cocos2dx. I've used it to deploy on iOS, Android, Win32, OSX and Linux. I think it can do android consoles as well

I think this article may answer a good portion of the questions that the OP has proposed.

http://programming.oreilly.com/2012/06/c-sharp-cross-platform-mobile-apps.html

And what about the size of the games of Unity3D because MonoGame has a probleme with the size in megabytes of the game.

The only limits I'm aware of are the download size limits imposed by the various app stores for the different devices. Currently 100MB for Apple and 50MB + auxiliary download for Google.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement