• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
satanir

Some questions regarding texture generation

This topic is 2163 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I got this really cool model, except it has 8Kx8K textures, and really basic specular map. I don't have time to hire an artist to fix those for me, I need some advice on how to do it myself.

I have 8K diffuse, normal, cavity, spec roughness and AO maps. ZBrush file(but no zbrush) and 150K poly obj model.

I need 4K maps. Diffuse is easy, I'll just downscale.

- Is there a tool to automatically downscale and normalize normal-maps?

- Can I use the cavity map to generate normal-map directly from it? Will it be better than downscaling the original 8K map?

- The current spec-roughness map is not good enough. How can I generate a good quality specular map(roughness/power)?

Thanks!

Advertisement

- Why don't you like downscaled normal maps? If the 8K ones are normalized, why should they be normalized again?

- What's a cavity map? Are you sure it's directly related to the normal map?

- If you don't like a specular or roughness map, what prevents you from retouching it with an image editor?

Why don't you like downscaled normal maps? If the 8K ones are normalized, why should they be normalized again?

Filtering normals don't result in normalized normals, so need to normalize them.

What's a cavity map? Are you sure it's directly related to the normal map?

As far I understand, it's the zbrush term for Maya's diffuse texture (not to be confused with color texture).

If you don't like a specular or roughness map, what prevents you from retouching it with an image editor?

Not an artist, have very slight idea how to generate a good specular map. I've tried some stuff, but the specular still looks weird.

Well, just to clarify, a cavity map is kind of like the AO map, but it is for smaller details.  It can be used in combination with other channels to add detail to the diffuse for example.  You could also use it to create a "glow" texture that some engines can use, making an object that glows on the inside, or the opposite, glows all over except for those lines.

@OP

Well, my honest opinion is that either you learn how to do these things yourself, or you pay someone to do them.  About doing it yourself, you could use Blender.  The first question is, do you have the 150K Poly OBJ AND the lower poly version, or just the higher poly version??  If you have both, then you could simply open up Blender, import both models, and BAKE the normal map yourself.

The cavity map was generated from the normal map most likely, but in the process it loses details I would think, so going back from the cavity map to normal map wouldn't be viable in my opinion.  Honestly, I don't see why you don't scale down the normal map as it is if you can't recreate it.  The detail that you might lose you were going to lose anyway due to using a lower resolution.  I don't know about things not being normalized anymore either, though I could be wrong about that.  Maybe if you compare the results of different scaling filters you can get different results.

About the spec map, I don't know of any technique but to get in there and fix it yourself.  There are programs for 3d painting that can paint directly to the spec map, and I think Blender can do it to, but you would have to learn the software, which is something you don't appear to want(or have time) to do at the moment.

The closest thing to generating these maps would be CrazyBump.  I don't remember which all maps it generates, but sometimes the results are pretty good, and there are settings for you to tweak the shape of things.  All it takes is the diffuse map and it generates at least that I remember a bump and normal map, and I think either a spec or AO or both, but there are like 5 maps it exports for you.  It has a trial version you could get as well.

Lastly, I think ZBrush also has a trial version.  It may be limited, but if it allows you to export at the least, you could open up the zbrush file and export higher and lower poly models, and then procede to create your maps in Blender like I suggested above, or if the trial is less limited than that, you could do those things there as well.

Thanks!

My (fake) deadline is Wednsday, so I thought I can do something quick and dirty on my own to improve the visual quality. Normal maps are actually OK, but the specular really sucks.

But that's a fake deadline anyway - no one will care about visual quality at this stage - and I've found an artist to work with after that.

I definitely like to learn to do those things by myself, just need to find the time.

Hi,

For future reference, it is important to keep work in progress stages of every large or complex map and textures. This makes changes so very much easier and pays for itself in many ways, such as reusing and remaking some elements of the build.

In my opinion, remaking this at this late stage will not yield the quality that you want.  Establishing everything by the normals map from the beginning allows branch versions of the WIP, each branch perhaps in its own folder or file in a kind of custom made version control for that particular model.  Work folders are all about this. 

Given that you don't have time to hire someone to remake this, experiment with downsizing, then adding bump map and baking in a program like Blender.  The end result will almost certainly not be like what you originally envisioned for it, but you might get something better.

By the way, I don't like the look of cavity mapping, so I never use it.  A better look can be achieved in combining the 2D manipulation with 3D enhancements.   Be careful not to add too many files to the model (surface maps) or you will make the model not usable because of performance.

In the future you should keep a work folder for each model and usually branch files for mapping and texture WIPs.  It actually saves time in the long run.  Keep a copy of each usable stage of WIP.

@3Ddreamer

I agree with everything you said, and that's exactly how we work.

Except we are not late in development, we're very early in development. Office politics dictated that I should present an early demo to our company's president this week and my artist in off on vacation... Thought I can use some of the early materials he sent me to improve things myself.

Other then that - content creation is something which I have zero experience with - I used to work with finished models. I think it's important to have some idea on the process, at least to better communicate with artists.

Well, in that case, someone still needs to pay attention to the number and size of the files in the model folder, making a judgment about them compared with measured performance and any issues with stuttering which may appear. (Stuttering can occur even at high FPS when memory allocation is overloaded, such as too much data from a model folder.)

Nice job you must have.  smile.png

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!