Freelance Game Designer wage

Started by
4 comments, last by Orymus3 10 years, 5 months ago

Hey everyone,

just a quick question to all freelance gds.

How much do you guys usually charge for doing some remote game design work ?

Thanks a bunch!

locked_cc

Advertisement

This probably belongs in the business section. As for costs, it can vary depending on the project and the duration of the contract. I've personally charged anything up to £300 GBP per day, plus accommodation, but that's by far the higher end of the scale.

Depends on the scope of work, level of responsibility and level of involvement.

I negotiate every contract separately.

Also, given that I have a day job simultaneously, I tend to go at a discounted rate. This allows me more control on the "extra work" I take, all the while remaining competitive on the market.

I've gone up to 50$ (UDB) per hour and down to 50$ per week of counseling (on average, I was spending 8 hours per week to followup for this contract, which amounts to 6,25 per hour)

Subject: Freelance Game Designer wage
How much do [freelance gds] usually charge for doing some remote game design work ?

Sorry to nitpick. The term "wage" doesn't apply to freelancing. The right term is "rate."
The rate for freelance work is higher than the wage for full-time work. I don't name my figures except to clients. I agree with Orymus that the rate varies depending on the scope and depth of the work. I have a high hourly rate for small projects (less than 10 hours) and a low rate for longterm projects.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Hey everyone,

just a quick question to all freelance gds.

How much do you guys usually charge for doing some remote game design work ?

Thanks a bunch!

locked_cc

Normal full-time professional freelance rates in Sweden tend to sit between $60 and $200 / hour (depending on project scale, experience, competition, demand, etc), i'd assume rates are similar in most western countries. Game design rates might be lower due to a fairly low demand (compared to other freelance services)

[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

As a general rule of thumb:

- Check the project

- Inquire about the budget

- Figure out whether there's an acceptable middle ground that you're willing to work for and he's willing to pay

OR

- Determine what you bring to the project (quality of your work, your seniority/foresight, velocity, etc.)

- Establish a flat rate by which you're willing to go

- Try not to compromise, especially during first/second contact

There are a number of reasons to go with the second approach. However, if you go that way, keep track of your rate. Try not to change it either.

If you deflate your rate and an existing client figures it out, they'll feel like they've paid too much and that you've re-evaluated your overall value. If you increase your rate, former customer may feel like they should be looking for someone cheaper (and might fail miserably to find the same level of quality). While you might think this is not your concern, its actually your fault, for not setting the right pricetag upfront.

This applies only if you do this fulltime though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement