• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IndyOfComo

Hours per week

30 posts in this topic

I'm just interested in hearing how much time people put into their game development. If you like, please respond with an average weekly total in hours, and what's your level of experience. (Are you hobby programmer only, or professional as well? Is this your first or second game, or have you completed 10 games?)

roughly 2-4 hours / week.

I'm a professional non games programmer (The games are a hobby)

I've completed 8 games thus far(all of them before i started programming full time for a living) and got 2 more in progress (one is a side project at work and one is a personal project (My employer is nice enough to actually let me keep my personal projects for myself which is a bit rare these days).

I do software development of some kind 40+ hours per week though.

Edited by SimonForsman

Just learning, so I've been putting a lot of time into it. Once I'm comfortable I won't spend the majority of my time learning as opposed to doing, I'll slow down but for now, 15 throughout the weekdays and 6 or so on Saturday and Sunday.

Im not working on a game but it is structured to work well for real time rendering and in a game if I ever want to make one. I focus up to 14 hours a day, depending on and almost always pass the 90 hour a week mark, I wish I could spend more on it but meh got other things to do. I have always been funny about branding myself with a title as it is meaningless, I will let others judge how 'pro' I am. However I have been heavily focused on graphics since early 2012 and programming in general since 2010

Edited by Dynamo_Maestro

I spend ~40 hours a week at work (I'm an engine programmer) - have a number of smaller titles out, one AAA and working on a second. I also spend ~6 hours a week working on my own projects.

About 25-30 hour a week at work (to be honest, half of that is compiling... :D), and... currently 0 for game development, but it is in my TODO list. tongue.png

Edited by Melkon

About ~40 hours a week at work (well.. internship really) and next to that I spent a couple of hours (depending on the schedule that week, also need to spend some time with the missus) on my hobby engine (purely learning stuff) aaaand I get together once a month with a friend of mine to work on a small project we have. So in total probably 40 to 50 hours a week?

In terms of how professional.. The company I am working at now is an indie studio working on a PS Vita project which would be my first professional title. Next to that I made 2 games in college that are decently polished for something made in that timespan.

I'm also more of a tech guy though, I love working on games, but more under the hood. :)

Couple of last years or more usually about regular 70 hours a week (at home), but incidentally last half year only about a half of it (i was feeling strangely overworked )

Got about 6- 5 years of regular day-to-day coding (though i learned coding as a child I do regular coding mostly just last 4-5 years )

Result: only a pack of prototypes in my backpack, (but also some amount of knowledge and experience )

I'm a professional, but my working week varies dramatically as I've been doing mercenary work. Generally speaking, I've been doing a forty hour working week and recently no hobbyist work. When I do do hobbyist stuff, it gets between six and twenty hours.

I've worked on quite a few games (professional and hobby) over the past ten or so years, though I don't tend to give an actual number as 'shipped', as that implies always working on them for the bulk of the development cycle, which isn't always the case.

To answer my own question, I am a professional non-game programmer. Assembly(as is described in my signature), so not remotely connected to hobby gaming. (If you're using assembly-level programming in your game, I'm calling it not-hobby.  ;)  )  On my hobby programming, I usually manage 4 45-min lunches through the work week, and one night of 1.5-2 hrs.

So in total I only get in about 4.5-5 hrs per week.

If you like, please respond with an average weekly total in hours

35 hours at the office, 6 hours at home = 41 hours or so.

and what's your level of experience. (Are you hobby programmer only, or professional as well?

Both.

Is this your first or second game, or have you completed 10 games?)

Around 30 shipped titles.

L. Spiro

Im not a professional programmer at all, nor am I a CS major. Just a hobbyist. I try to get in a hour a day after Im done with college work. So 7-hours a week for me.

At all of my professional jobs, I've done 38 hours per week (the legal maximum here).

These days, I'm "an indie". When I was working out of my home office, it was pretty hard to tell how many hours I was doing... my workday and personal day were so blurred... Recently I moved into a small office building, and I've been spending about 45 hours per week there.

Probably spending more time on EVE yeh ;)? Cant believe I only just noticed the logo

<- ex player, left for programming :D well worth it ;)

Probably spending more time on EVE yeh ;)? Cant believe I only just noticed the logo

<- ex player, left for programming biggrin.png well worth it ;)

Heh, ya used to. But I also dropped my subscription to code more. I lapsed in August. I just couldn't excuse the sub for 2-4 hrs/ week, not counting lunchtime PI updating. I'm thinking about taking a break in January and subbing again for a month, lose some internet space pixels. I used to blog a bit about my journey, just a little. And I love my Amarr ships.  smile.png

I'm just interested in hearing how much time people put into their game development. If you like, please respond with an average weekly total in hours, and what's your level of experience. (Are you hobby programmer only, or professional as well? Is this your first or second game, or have you completed 10 games?)

I'm a novice game programmer, and have only been coding for about a year (C++), so most my time is still spent learning how to do things. but on average i spend at least 6 hours a day coding, but fairly often i get into a groove and will end up spending 12+ hours coding. id say i spend between 40-70 hours a week coding.

im doing this to become a "Professional" game developer/programmer.

ive completed a handful of dinky games, and recently have been cloning classic games, starting from pong (of course! :) )

I spend around 4-8 hours a week on game development, mainly my own solo projects but also some freelance model/graphics work. Would like a ten or twenty-fold that amount but life gets in the way :)

I spend about 5-10 hours per week on my hobby projects.

My day job is game development-related, but not programming.

The time I spend at home is still valuable for my day job (making key decisions based on tech, etc.)

I'm still a student and probably not the best to answer. I spend 5-10 hours a week coding and practicing. The rest is spent reading and learning. I also play around with some engines a bit to learn some other things (art, design, etc...). I have a full time job that's not related to programming in any way. So it's more ore less my free time, although I would love it to be more.

About 40 hours a week. Was in the industry for about 4-5 years, burned out. Went to an easier dev job outside the industry and now I get to do my own game dev in the evenings instead =)

Hi,

More than one project at a time is not unusual, such as in my case.

About 60 hours per week is currently what I devote to game development, but I would do more if I did not have to spend part time earning a living to supplement my progress in game development.   I have worked as many as about 85 hours per week when able to focus on only game dev.

I have been working as a 2D and 3D artist in the video game and simulation industry for about 3 1/2 years, and learning code in Java and C# for about 2 years for my own projects.

Edited by 3Ddreamer

Depends on how motivated I feel at work - sometimes I just do 40 h weeks, but more often 70-90 h weeks (if it's a lot to do and I enjoy it). Glad I have the option to choose and most often enjoy my job. Should be noted I write middleware, though it has happened I've been working directly with game projects using our middleware. When not doing lengthy weeks I tend to work on hobby projects (including electronics to keep away from purely doing programming for variation).

Edited by Petter Hansson

I program just to keep basics fresh in my head. 2 hours every night (12am to 2am). I don't have the confidence to do anything with my knowledge so I just do code out of books and stupid things like tilemap tests or movement tests with Allegro, SDL, or SFML.