Hours per week

Started by
29 comments, last by BHXSpecter 10 years, 4 months ago

I'm just interested in hearing how much time people put into their game development. If you like, please respond with an average weekly total in hours, and what's your level of experience. (Are you hobby programmer only, or professional as well? Is this your first or second game, or have you completed 10 games?)

Here is my technical background info.
Advertisement

I'm just interested in hearing how much time people put into their game development. If you like, please respond with an average weekly total in hours, and what's your level of experience. (Are you hobby programmer only, or professional as well? Is this your first or second game, or have you completed 10 games?)

roughly 2-4 hours / week.

I'm a professional non games programmer (The games are a hobby)

I've completed 8 games thus far(all of them before i started programming full time for a living) and got 2 more in progress (one is a side project at work and one is a personal project (My employer is nice enough to actually let me keep my personal projects for myself which is a bit rare these days).

I do software development of some kind 40+ hours per week though.

[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

40 hours a week professionally and ~4-8 hours a week at home when I feel like it. Completed 4 AAA titles so far and working on the 5th, never completed a home project due to them being hobby and learning other stuffs.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, theHunter, theHunter: Primal, Mad Max, Watch Dogs: Legion

Just learning, so I've been putting a lot of time into it. Once I'm comfortable I won't spend the majority of my time learning as opposed to doing, I'll slow down but for now, 15 throughout the weekdays and 6 or so on Saturday and Sunday.

(Not games) Somewhat professionally - from 0 to 30/60 hours a week. It depends on what project I am doing or upgrading. Mostly web based.

Games related, from 2 hours to 30ish. Before I would spend my hobby time on learning and experimenting with technologies/designs like OpenGL, Lua for scripting.

I have made 2/3 small game demos (to apply what I am learning ). Currently making my first full game (just a small 2D space shooter).

Im not working on a game but it is structured to work well for real time rendering and in a game if I ever want to make one. I focus up to 14 hours a day, depending on and almost always pass the 90 hour a week mark, I wish I could spend more on it but meh got other things to do. I have always been funny about branding myself with a title as it is meaningless, I will let others judge how 'pro' I am. However I have been heavily focused on graphics since early 2012 and programming in general since 2010

I spend ~40 hours a week at work (I'm an engine programmer) - have a number of smaller titles out, one AAA and working on a second. I also spend ~6 hours a week working on my own projects.

About 25-30 hour a week at work (to be honest, half of that is compiling... :D), and... currently 0 for game development, but it is in my TODO list. tongue.png

About ~40 hours a week at work (well.. internship really) and next to that I spent a couple of hours (depending on the schedule that week, also need to spend some time with the missus) on my hobby engine (purely learning stuff) aaaand I get together once a month with a friend of mine to work on a small project we have. So in total probably 40 to 50 hours a week?

In terms of how professional.. The company I am working at now is an indie studio working on a PS Vita project which would be my first professional title. Next to that I made 2 games in college that are decently polished for something made in that timespan.

I'm also more of a tech guy though, I love working on games, but more under the hood. :)

Couple of last years or more usually about regular 70 hours a week (at home), but incidentally last half year only about a half of it (i was feeling strangely overworked )

Got about 6- 5 years of regular day-to-day coding (though i learned coding as a child I do regular coding mostly just last 4-5 years )

Result: only a pack of prototypes in my backpack, (but also some amount of knowledge and experience )

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement