Advertisement Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
xRisenx

Helbreath Windows 8 Question

This topic is 1890 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello.

Helbreath is a game from 1999 using DirectDraw / Directx 7.0a.

But the problem is in Windows 8 FPS drop down to 20 and its unplayable.

So my question is what do you guys think would need to be done to fix this FPS drop?

All i can think of is re-coding the whole client from DirectDraw to OpenGL, but it cant be that much work to fix it?

I heard that Windows 8 have problem with games running lower then 32bit color as its force all games to run 32bit color, then games running 16bit or less will have fps drop because of this (Just a rumor)

Also heard that Windows 8 uses DirectDraw to power its desktop so thats why the fps drops. (Also a rumor)

Regards,

xRisenx

Advertisement

If you have Win XP/98 you could use VMWare player(Its the free version, And is very good, Games run alot smoother then in VirtualBox ) to play the game, I do that for a game because 'Games for windows live" does not work and i have not tried a suggestion that is supposed to work.

Also heard that Windows 8 uses DirectDraw to power its desktop so thats why the fps drops. (Also a rumor)

From what i read on MSDN and DX Doc's is that the system uses Direct3D for the UI and that is at least a part of the reason why D3D10+ now uses a debug layer instead of forcing every game to run under the debug DX libraries.

Funny thought: Have you ever forgotten the D3D9 debug libraries turned on and played CnC3 ?

I found the game was significantly slower.

Hope that helps

Ryan.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!