• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mepis

Looking for criticism for my game, harsh is okay to

35 posts in this topic

but you'd be surprised by how many people will hit the back button on their browser when they encounter a prompt to install the latest version of Flash or Unity Player.
In theory. In practice, how many people who like playing online arcade games do not have Flash installed already? :)

(althrough, I have heard some whinning of Flash players who were refusing installing Unity3D, but really, since Kongregate fully supports and promotes Unity3D games I is hard for me to believe those are players worth fighting for)

Tip: do not care about general population, care only about the tiny part of the population who already likes playing the kind of games you are making.

The main gameplay is fine,but please consider fixing 2 things:

#1 GUI. It is very convoluted and distracting. I clicked on the Instructions button and then it took me to a screen were it was only a blurry mess. Like you took a 64x64 image file and upscaled it to cover my big 1080p screen. Well if you did that,know that upscaling digital images blur them. It wasn't readable.

#2 Voice Over ? I heard a voice when I 'died' but the recording was so bad quality I didn't understand if it meant anything. It was like a mumble,not an actual word.

The main gameplay is fine,but please consider fixing 2 things:

#1 GUI. It is very convoluted and distracting. I clicked on the Instructions button and then it took me to a screen were it was only a blurry mess. Like you took a 64x64 image file and upscaled it to cover my big 1080p screen. Well if you did that,know that upscaling digital images blur them. It wasn't readable.

#2 Voice Over ? I heard a voice when I 'died' but the recording was so bad quality I didn't understand if it meant anything. It was like a mumble,not an actual word.

Interesting feedback. I never took into consideration 1080P or higher resolutions. My laptop only runs native at 720P. My goal was to keep texture size down. With that said though, it's not exactly a mobile first game. I'll have to run it on my projector and see how it looks and figure something out from there. It is a lower res image so I can see where the browser upscaling it can cause issues. Thanks for the heads up!

The recorded sounds are admittedly bad. I'm using Audacity and my laptops built in mic. I knew those wouldn't be so great from the start but my options with that are limited. I'm still investigating ways to make is better. I'm not much of a sound engineer though and it's not my main focus so I'm going to have to get creative. I knew that would probably be one of my weakest points of the game from the start.

@Krohm I'm not sure why CPU usage jumped to 50%. The game does try and achieve 60 FPS constant. That might be it. It doesn't jump that high on my system but it is higher than I would have expected. I attributed it to the JS. I am possibly wrong on that though.
It wasn't 50%. It was 100%. But to be honest, I have 3 cpus in my system so your total CPU% in somewhere about 33-37%.

It's still a lot. I suggest to try dropping to 45 fps.

@Krohm I'm not sure why CPU usage jumped to 50%. The game does try and achieve 60 FPS constant. That might be it. It doesn't jump that high on my system but it is higher than I would have expected. I attributed it to the JS. I am possibly wrong on that though.
It wasn't 50%. It was 100%. But to be honest, I have 3 cpus in my system so your total CPU% in somewhere about 33-37%.

It's still a lot. I suggest to try dropping to 45 fps.

My bad. I meant %100 when I wrote that and understood what you meant. I didn't mean to minimize the impact.

I couldn't play it long. The background hurt my eyes and head. Something like that seems it could cause seizure (disclaimer perhaps).

The frame rate made it a little worse too. 

The menu screen is uncomfortable as well. 

But good job anyhow, because you have an actual finished game (I am still trying to complete one). haha. 

Suggestions:

It needs a Theme

Substitute in a character for the ball.

Replace the cubes with other objects.

Add some more mechanics

It is amazing how adding at least one extra good game mechanic can make a game so much more appealing

Some effects

Add some more sound effects

Some particle effects also?

Basically

A little more design to the game would really help. 

I really think that the theme would help it mostly (Angry Birds is just Catapult with a cool theme). 

Alright, I made some updates to the game and changed some things. I took the criticism to improve it. I still have plenty to change yet. I figured I would ask, if anyone has a few moments of time, to take a quick look and make sure I'm heading in the right direction with the feedback received so far.  I'm also adding in the change log to make it easier to see exactly what I changed.

As usual, I really appreciate the feedback. The feedback is invaluable, especially being free. This community has been so awesome!

V 1.0.0.4

·         Added new particles for character explosion

·         Added larger black enemy square

V 1.0.0.3

·         Changed text for buttons

·         Increased size of score label

·         Added reactions to cursor hovering

V 1.0.0.2

·         Removed all options and options screen (Sound fx and music)

·         Removed countdown to start

·         Removed wait time to enter game

·         Removed rectangle enemies

·         Removed Distraction

·         Removed instructions screen

·         Cleaned events

·         Removed unused sounds

·         Removed points deduction from firing bullet

V 1.0.0.1

·         Removed Touch controls

·         Removed Kongregate Scoring

·         Added ‘WASD’ movement controls

·         Added 8 way movement

o   Added horizontal and vertical movements in all directions

o   Player is still at a fixed angle

·         Removed scrolling background

·         Removed static and TV border from all screens

·         Removed Pause touch button from player screen

·         Changed basic square enemy to an animated character

·         Reduced collision points on enemies and enemies

·         Reduced regular square to 1 health

·         Removed Static sound from home screen

·         Removed radio frequency sound from options screen

·         Removed chatter sound from instructions screen 

Also, I removed the instructions for now until I can think of a better way to implement them. The controls are mostly the same. Arrow keys move the player and space bar fires. I also added 'WASD' support for movement. The green ball that appears randomly is a power up that slows down the generation rate of the red squares.The player earns points by staying alive (1 point per second), destroying the squares, and missing the squares.

Here is a another link to make it easy to find: http://www.kurie.us/2013/11/attack-of-the-squares/

It goes directly to my blog with the game posted in an iFrame. Ignore the rest of the blog. It's a slow hobby thing and doesn't have a lot of compelling stuff. If you want to avoid the blog link, the link on the OP has the link to the game page directly without it being posted in an iFrame. I just thought it would be easier for people to have another link to click through without going back to the OP. 

You've received a lot of good feedback on this. Here's my two cents.

The game isn't challenging enough. There are two enemy types:

• Large Black Boxes that move diagonally.
  • Small Red Boxes that move horizontally.

Given only these two movement patterns, it's too easy to predict enemy movements and shoot/dodge them. You need something to keep the player on their toes. You already have a power-up that moves on a sine wave, why not try implementing an enemy that moves on a lower amplitude? You might also consider adding an enemy that can shoot back.

Also, Red/Green color blindness is the most common form of color blindness. Be careful when using these two colors to symbolize two different things. If you make enemies that can shoot, don't give them red bullets, or at least don't give them bullets that have the same shape as the player's bullets.

hmm, interesting short game.

a few things that could be improved:

- the music could be locked to the movement/speed of the squares.

- more enemies etc; maybe walls, levels, basically content.

- the ball doesn't accelerate or whatever, it moves at exact speed where you send it,

if it would accelerate it 'd behave more natural and challenges a player more on his, umm, instinct skills.

a temporal (speed)boost that can be activated to get out of a bad situation would be a welcome addition(or freeze/slowdown of the squares)