• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
satanir

Game engine book?

This topic is 2158 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Any good book on game engine architecture? I'm looking for something that covers the entire system, not focusing on rendering engine specifically.

I know the basics, so I'm not looking for a beginner level book. I want to start working on a game as a hobby, I'm looking for a book that has some more in-depth information on game engines.

Edited by N.I.B.

Advertisement

?Game Engine Architecture?, this book may help!

But l haven't read it since now, my firend told me that this book may be good for some guy who want to know game engine but not just how to use it and what it is.

May google can help you got more  answer about your question.

Edited by bluepig.man

?Game Engine Architecture?, this book may help!

I have it, it's a good book for beginners. I'm looking for something a little more in-depth. Google didn't really help.

If you already know what you're doing, then another book for beginners isn't going to help you.  Instead, study from the masters.

I whole heartedly agree! The great thing about the Internet is the vast and free resources for programming and virtually any other technical topic with computers). You need only desire, a search engine and a bit of luck.

I've been developing a game engine (nomlib's Github page) for the past year and personally have found SFML to be quite the inspirational source on good examples of general engine design, with an emphasis on simplicity / staying out of the way of the user. Perhaps the most valuable resource I've found yet is something I often forget: you can search for public project repositories from the Github web site (presumably also true of other web-based VCS?). Great for absorbing new ideas, brainstorming, etc. Related to my suggestions are open source projects in general, such as EASTL, Doom3 and so on. Lastly, studying general development aspects & principles: http://www.oodesign.com/ and http://sourcemaking.com/design_patterns

Edited by JeffCarp

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!