Advertisement Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Fabio Roscioli

Noob Question : What game engine is better to begin to program in C# for Desktop?

This topic is 1885 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello !  I'm new here so i wanna greet you all!

I want to make you a difficult question : 

- Introduction :

I want to program in C# or some heigh level language (no pointer management or shitty grammar like c++), i don't want to manage pointers, i don't want to manage directly the memory, i WANT to use a Garbage Collector.

I was exploring the world of opensource game engines and heigh level engines in general and i decided to learn how to manage graphics. I already know how to program stuffs, i'm a programmer but i never programmed games in all my life so i wanted to begin with something I already know and love : Ultima Online.

- Question

What should be the best engine you would use develop a program that "Shows" (only shows) ultima online graphics? Why?

- SharpDX

- SlimDX

- XNA

- Monogame

etc...

Thank you for the answers!  ^^

Advertisement

Unity uses C# and is more of an engine. It's more 3D focused but you can do 2D with it also. I think that's probably what you are looking for.

I'm using SlimDX and direct3d 11,i have't any problem with this and coding with SlimDX is very very simple ,also SlimDX classes and methods is very similar to DirectX so u can use the source codes of Directx SDK samples or other C++ directx resources to write your own code.

Unity uses C# and is more of an engine. It's more 3D focused but you can do 2D with it also. I think that's probably what you are looking for.

FYI Unity just released version 4.3 with a dedicated 2D pipeline!

Unity is a great program to use for programming in c#, is a game engine that is used in the industry, and can use great graphics. All of the documentation for Unity is online, so you can always look up things that might be tripping you up. I've used Unity for many a project and have enjoyed it's feel.

Side note/helpful hint: If you've never programmed a game before, just remember that there might be slight differences in how code should be used, and that like any coding project, its trial and error. Have fun though, your first coding experience with a game is always fun and exciting.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!