Beginner in Programming for games help please

Started by
12 comments, last by 3Ddreamer 10 years, 4 months ago

So i really like to play games and i have been loving it for ages but now time has come for my self to actually start learning other Programming Language then MYSQL and PHP.

i am intrested in making 2D games, Text Based, Simple Games like pac man and so on or something close to that.

And i need help to decide what language is best to write in and how to start so all help is welcoming.

i have some ideas

C#

C++

Java maybe?
but the problem is i dont know where to start

Give your ideas on how to start and i will glady accept that help :D

Advertisement

This gets asked quite a bit. There is no <i>best</i> language. There is a best language for <i>you</i>, but that's not necessarily going to be the same for everyone else. Try picking a language, look up [language name] tutorial on Google, and go from there. If you like that language, go with it. If not, try another one. It might be a good idea to look at why some people like a language, or why it was developed - was it designed to give the programmer intimate control over the system, but it wasn't supposed to be user-friendly? Was it meant to get the most out of expensive programmers while relinquishing control of the system and perhaps wasting memory or processor time? These are some questions you might want to ask yourself when picking a language or moving forward.

A game won't just happen overnight. You're going to have to spend a lot of time on the basics of any language you choose before you get to anything you might consider a game, so you'll just have to stick with it.

Also, there's a difference between enjoying playing games and enjoying making them. Don't get aggravated, discouraged or confused if you don't immediately take to the game development process, it happens. Try to stick with it, ask questions if you get stuck, take a break, come back to it, try a different approach. It's a challenge, but it's not for everyone.

Good luck!

I highly recommend C#. Knowing C++ as well is very useful in the long run, it teaches you a lot about the lower down parts of the code so you can make more informed choices in other languages at the very least. But if you haven't done any game dev really it's good to pick up an easy to learn language like C#, XNA is a good library to get started with.

I really do not recommend Java, although I'm sure some out there will disagree with me, as a language it doesn't offer much over C# other than the fact you'd have to use Mono to target all platforms like Java does. In terms of game development it has some of the least support of any mainstream language, even Python with Pygame would probably be way better than Java quite frankly.

Anyway just pick something that looks interesting and get to work, you learn a lot more by experimenting than asking whats the best thing, imagine how many hours of code you could have written in the time you might sit there worrying about if you picked the right thing.

now time has come for my self to actually start learning other Programming Language then MYSQL and PHP.

As you have already been given suggestions on approaching the language question, may I ask why you want to learn some programming language before MySQL and PHP? There is nothing wrong with starting with your goal.

Text based games could be a decent start while you learn, to give you a little motivation as you go along. Write pieces for your game as you learn.

now time has come for my self to actually start learning other Programming Language then MYSQL and PHP.

As you have already been given suggestions on approaching the language question, may I ask why you want to learn some programming language before MySQL and PHP? There is nothing wrong with starting with your goal.

Text based games could be a decent start while you learn, to give you a little motivation as you go along. Write pieces for your game as you learn.

uh sorry it might have sounded wrong but i already know PHP and MYSQL on quite a nice level :D

and i am instrested in making games and i have been so for quite some time and i learned by many that C# and C++ is a good choice to make but i dont know where to start

Start coding! Look at the two you have there, see which style you like best, and run with it. You already know PHP so looking at code should give you some idea of what you are getting in to. Either that, or look up the features of each and see which agrees with you the most.

As has already been said, what language you choose is mostly irrelevant, though you might want to think about what platforms you're targeting before you make a decision.

"C++ was developed in the 1980s, based on the C language, but with a bottom-up approach. C++ uses object-oriented programming (OOP) concepts like classes, objects, and polymorphism. Data is considered more important than process. It also has useful OOP features like data hiding for security.

However, C++ is not a true OOP language, because it is quite dependent on the procedural fundamentals of C. Like C, it compiles into binary and is executed natively. Being powerful and fast, it is chosen for intensive gaming applications. However, running natively means a single error could cause a total computer crash and data loss.

C# is the latest toolset, based on C++ code. Developed by Microsoft towards the turn of the 21st century, it is a .Net language, and in some ways, similar to Java. This high-level language is first compiled to a middle language, and then into direct binary. Thus, you can consider this code to be interpreted in run time. C# is compatible with most operating systems, and programming is simplified thanks to built-in functions. Note that this may be a disadvantage if you are a serious programmer, because the abstractness takes away some degree of control from you.

C# is slower than C or C++ because it runs on a virtual machine rather than a native one. Programming errors may destroy the virtual machine, but your computer remains unharmed. The speed difference goes unnoticed on the super-fast computers you have today."

I started with C++ and HGE (Haaf's game engine) but I recommend C++ only if you enjoy pain as it is very hard to understand at the beginning but in the long run C++ is better than Java or C#, in my opinion.

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul. Wisdom is better than silver or gold." - Bob Marley

Start with a language that provides a minimal amount of control so that you can accomplish what you want. There is no reason to choose a behemoth like C++ because it's "faster" or because it gives you "more control." You're not programming task schedulers, you're learning to make a game. You don't need the extra control! It only adds complexity and makes things harder. When the time comes that you need the proverbial speed of a compiled language, you'll quickly realize that picking up C++ isn't as hard as it would have seemed at first because you'll know most of what you need already.

Yo dawg, don't even trip.

Guys really? I mean, I'd make him consider HTML5/JS if I were you, and since he has MySQL/PHP experience I'd figure he has some webdev experience. C, C++, Java is all too complex for a starter IMHO.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement