• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ngbeslhang

Making music via software?

This topic is 2157 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Before asking, I'm not a native English speaker, so I'm sorry if you didn't figured out what I'm saying.

Like 2 years ago, I started to play Minecraft and found that I loved the musics made my C418, so I always dreamt for making one without the real instrustment. (I remembered I saw he's using a software to make the music on a video but I'm not sure what is it, and did I spelled right?) And I did searched "music creation", "music creation software" or anything similar on Google and they're really expensive and hard to figure out hw to use them.

I tried a software that based on the noteblock sound in Minecraft and it's called "Minecraft Noteblock Studio". (http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/136749-minecraft-note-block-studio-200000-downloads/) The UI of it was easy to figure out and I don't think there's a music creation software that featured the piano keyboards and instrustment changer in case to create other sounds of a song.

Anyway, I wish you can recommend me a music creation software that the creator of the music having the entire copyright of his/her music, easy-to-use (to make sure I can put more effort to the other parts of a game, but that's optional) and finally, support multipile instrustment. (Or how can I make the effects of a game?)

OPTIONAL: I bought a book called "Introduction to Game Programming with C++" published by Wordware before, do you guys think it's a good book?

Advertisement

Look into the MIDI format and related software. Yes, it may be old-school and everything, but it lets you easily create music by simple composition of notes of various instruments (with varying duration, pitch, volume, etc..) which is sometimes all that is needed, especially if you're starting out.

Look into the MIDI format and related software. Yes, it may be old-school and everything.

I didn't even thinked about it before and I think that MIDI was very hard.
Anyway thanks for advice. :)
EDIT: After watching this tutorial (http://www.ehow.com/how_5080124_create-midi-songs.html#page=8), I found that you can create songs via Audicity, but since I'm travelling and not around my computer for a few days, I'll try after going home.

I have a super cheap midi keyboard that I use.  It's not the best but when your budget is $0 you can't really afford anything nicer.  I always have more luck playing the notes on a keyboard as opposed to adding them to a software program with a mouse.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/KeystationMini32.html

I am not sure if the country where I live (Malaysia) sells MIDI keyboard, but I prefer to use mouse and keyboard rather than it.

There is some free midi composition software, Rose Garden and LMM ( linux multimedia studio ).  probably more out there too.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!