Question about RAM

Started by
13 comments, last by SimonForsman 10 years, 4 months ago

ram_zps8f4545ec.png

From what I see here, I got 1.96 GB of RAM.

How do I know how much RAM my labtop can actually have even though it starts off with 1.96 GB of RAM?

What does the first @ 2.00 GHz and second 2.00 GHz mean?

I noticed with the amount of RAM I have, the computer lags with 3 windows open. Why is this?

Advertisement

How do I know how much RAM my labtop can actually have even though it starts off with 1.96 GB of RAM?

If your RAM is installed in removable slots, you can put the maximum supported size in all available slots. You would look up the maximum supported capacity and RAM type on the manufacturer's website. For self-built computers, you look this up on the motherboard manufacturer's web site. If your RAM is soldered directly onto the motherboard, you won't be able to replace it easily at all.

What does the first @ 2.00 GHz and second 2.00 GHz mean?

One of the two will be just a string presented with the processor details and the other will be the actual speed it's currently running at (which can change if it's overclocked).

I noticed with the amount of RAM I have, the computer lags with 3 windows open.

How did you come to the conclusion that the two are related? 3 windows of what?

How did you come to the conclusion that the two are related? 3 windows of what?

Edited by Nypyren, Today, 08:45 PM.

Ah sorry. My mistake it was actually 9 window tabs open from other websites. Turns out the lag was caused from a Shockwave plugin that stopped working for Youtube videos.

One of the two will be just a string presented with the processor details and the other will be the actual speed it's currently running at (which can change if it's overclocked).

Thanks. I was reading up on overclocking and it is suppose make the computer faster but there are a ton of downside including using more power which generates more heat. Overclocking seems like a bad idea despite making the computer work faster.

Don't overclock laptops.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Don't overclock laptops.

QFE. Overclocking increases heat and power load. Laptops are notoriously bad at dealing with high amounts of either one.

Don't overclock laptops.

ok. =]

Here's your CPU and based on what I see it's a 64-bit processor which means you have the minimum for it at 2GB of RAM. When it starts "lagging" a little the OS (assuming Windows) is caching to the hard drive. If you have a 64-bit OS and vid card then you can go as high as 8GB. Why anyone would need more than that on a desk/lap top is beyond me. 64 bit means it can address a memory location in ram as high as 7FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF or 9,223,372,036,854,775,807 and that's a whole lot of bytes!

Why anyone would need more than that on a desk/lap top is beyond me.

640kB of memory ought to be enough for anyone! History repeats itself wink.png

64 bit means it can address a memory location in ram as high as 7FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF or 9,223,372,036,854,775,807 and that's a whole lot of bytes!

Yes, though in practice most current CPU's only implement a 48-bit address space (there appear to be other technical difficulties with a whole 64-bit address space, check out this SO thread). Which should suffice for a decade or two, hopefully, but I have no doubt people will still manage to run out of memory when our computers have several hundred terabytes of RAM.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

Why anyone would need more than that on a desk/lap top is beyond me.

The default memory load of my work system (MSVC with the relevant projects opened, browser and a few other tools) clocks out at just under 4GB of used memory. Add a virtual machine or two running and suddenly 8GB does not sound like so much, especially if you want enough breathing space to do something demanding like compiling a largish complex library on four or eight cores.

More than 8GB of RAM is not something a lot of people get a use out of, but it's far from unbelievable.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement