Advertisement Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DavidColson

Singletons in a component based architecture.

This topic is 1883 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, 

So I wanted to write a game using a component based architecture for the obvious reasons of wanting quick iteration and such, thats not my point tough.

What I have thought up is a system were components are implemented in Lua instead of c++, and then Lua can call functions that are implemented in c++. All fine and dandy, however I see a problem.

From the c++ point of view most of my code is just going to be a list Lua functions implemented in c++, with no need for inheritance or things such as that.

Furthermore, if I just put all these Lua functions in classes, as merely namespaces, I will have code, from the c++ point of view thats just a bunch of singletons, with Lua functions in them.

This goes against what I know to be good practice in c++ OOP programming. So my question is, everyone talks about the components and data, but what about the rest of the code, is there a way that all this functionality is normally implemented, as in the functionality for components to use?

Advertisement

You seem to be overthinking things.

It is possible to do OOP in C withtout using classes.  You have a struct contains all the data, and you have functions which operate on that struct.  There is a tight binding between the functions and the data even though they're separate elements in the code.  C++ classes are just shorthand for this.  Every time you call a C++ function, you're sending a pointer to a struct as the first parameter.  I'm assuming this is basically what you're doing when you call into lua - passing a block of data for the lua script to operate on.

Keep in mind the defining characteristic of a singleton is that it only operates on a single set of data, or in other words, there can only be one instance of the data.

Just make free functions in your C++ code, ideally in a namespace that represents that they are bound to Lua. Problem solved.

I'm assuming this is basically what you're doing when you call into lua - passing a block of data for the lua script to operate on.

Not quite, most of the code looks like this:

int SetPosition(lua_State* L) {
    int entity = (int)lua_tointeger(L, 1);
    double X = lua_tonumber(L, 2);
    double Y = lua_tonumber(L, 3);

currentLevel.GetEntity(entity)->trans.SetPosition(Vector2((float)X, (float)Y));

return 0;
}

This function can be called from Lua, and most of the code is functions like this, that are called from a single Lua state. Currently there is only one Lua state, and so all the functions work of the single Lua state, like a singleton.

Edited by DavidColson

No.

A "singleton" does not mean that you only bothered to create one of them. To be a singleton, the code must enforce that there will always be exactly one of them.

The fact that you can pass any lua_State you want into your functions means that you could easily create two, zero, or four thousand lua_states and use all of them (or none of them) freely. This is the exact opposite of what a singleton is meant to accomplish.

The fact that you can pass any lua_State you want into your functions means that you could easily create two, zero, or four thousand lua_states and use all of them (or none of them) freely. This is the exact opposite of what a singleton is meant to accomplish.

Ok well this is good. So its not the end of the world to just drop in a bunch of free functions organised in namespaces? I shall proceed doing that then.

If it is the case that its not the end of the world I'd like to add why I thought it might be. I often come across experience c++ and OOP programmers who preach using classes and OOP and using all the features of the language. I thought maybe there might be a better way to go about it than just using free functions, or functions wrapped in a class instead of a namespace.

Edited by DavidColson

Ok well this is good. So its not the end of the world to just drop in a bunch of free functions organised in namespaces? I shall proceed doing that then.

If it is the case that its not the end of the world I'd like to add why I thought it might be. I often come across experience c++ and OOP programmers who preach using classes and OOP and using all the features of the language. I thought maybe there might be a better way to go about it than just using free functions, or functions wrapped in a class instead of a namespace.

Attempting to shoehorn everything into an OOP model is a mindset from the late 90s/early 00s.

The truth is that OOP should be another tool in your box. It's useful a lot of the time, but it's not for everything.

currentLevel.GetEntity(entity)->trans.SetPosition(Vector2((float)X, (float)Y));

Where does currentLevel come from? Is it a global variable?

So its not the end of the world to just drop in a bunch of free functions organised in namespaces? I shall proceed doing that then.

It's the standard and best way to do it, not merely good enough.
C++ has three places for functions: top-level; inside a class (or a struct or union); or inside a namespace. A class is unsuitable because it implies defining a data type but you have "a bunch of free functions", while namespaces offer additional features you might find useful, like nesting (allowing all sorts of classifications, not only a single level) and support for distributing declarations across different compilation units without a pointless central "directory" of your Lua-callable functions (as a class would be).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!