Jump to content
  • Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

[C++/SFML] Trouble with BSP Dungeon Generation Algorithm

This topic is 2157 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

I'm having some trouble with a BSP Dungeon Generation algorithm I'm working on, and I'm not really sure how to fix it. I got a general idea of how it's supposed to work based on this tutorial:




However, the tutorial doesn't show any examples, and I had to just guess how everything worked and make my own. I'm running into several problems with my algorithm, mainly, an integer division by zero exception sometimes created by the CreateRooms() method of my MapGenerator class, and access violations for specific tiles (which I assume have something to do with the way I'm creating and initializing my 2D vector of tiles in the Map class). Can someone take a look at my classes and see if there's anything inherently wrong with my algorithm? I know there's a problem with the way I'm creating and initializing the tiles in the Map class' 2D vector, so maybe check that out first?

The things of note to look at would be the constructor in the Map class, and all the generation methods in the MapGenerator class. I'm not sure if anything else might be affecting it, but I'll attach all my classes to be sure.


SFMLApp.h: http://pastebin.com/jigFbPH5

SFMLApp.cpp: http://pastebin.com/tBdhgW7f

Map.h: http://pastebin.com/tmEY0tih

Map.cpp: http://pastebin.com/bV9NgkR8

Tile.h: http://pastebin.com/RCXhTK7i

Tile.cpp: http://pastebin.com/7uLGSuPb

MapGenerator.h: http://pastebin.com/F08ERcu2

MapGenerator.cpp: http://pastebin.com/npWxfmLK


There are some rudimentary comments that explain the gist of what each method is supposed to do, but if you have any questions, just ask.


EDIT: I figured it out. There were some fatal flaws with the way I was splitting the nodes that were causing invalid row/column/width/height values. I've corrected it now, and it partitions the spaces just fine.

Edited by PaCkEtPiRaTe

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!