Industrial revolution strategy (post mortem and ideas)

Started by
56 comments, last by Acharis 10 years, 2 months ago

A screen of the provinces map. It should make it easier to visualize smile.png

ir-screen-map_zpsec586314.png

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Advertisement

The game is definately gonna need governors or something to give bonuses to/change provinces.

For the farmers, just let them make their money in the kapitalistic/free trade, improve the province's infrastructure(add roads, add traffic lights, add traffic rules etc.)
so they become more efficiënt and have spare workers that can work for you.

The game is definately gonna need governors or something to give bonuses to/change provinces.

Good, I'm finally starting to convey the spirit of the game :) Yes, for such a game governors of provinces are a must. That's one of the reason for so few provinces, so it's managable by the player, so he can remember (more or less) where he put what governor and which province produces what.

The bonuses part is pretty obvious to me, but can you elaborate on the "change provinces" part?

For the farmers, just let them make their money in the kapitalistic/free trade

That's my biggest dilemma/objection. Have you played Victoria: the empire under the sun? It had such "free trade and posession of things by the population", in the end I have not enjoyed it so much (all the random factories that were popping up built by capitalists population), I had no control of that aspect and not so much fun...

On the other hand, assets owned by population is natural and realistic and makes sense...

I need an advice/opinion on this.

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

The bonuses part is pretty obvious to me, but can you elaborate on the "change provinces" part?

I meant that the bonus(es) should count to something that make the needs of the provinces change,

for example instead of giving a bonus of +10% income from selling the factory-goods, have universities produce new graduates quicker so the

province has a constant (higher)need for new housing and jobs or something.

That's my biggest dilemma/objection. Have you played Victoria: the empire under the sun? It had such "free trade and posession of things by the population", in the end I have not enjoyed it so much (all the random factories that were popping up built by capitalists population), I had no control of that aspect and not so much fun...

On the other hand, assets owned by population is natural and realistic and makes sense...
I need an advice/opinion on this.

But i only have one opinion and already gave it :(

Nah but seriously, i haven't played Victoria but i 've played another game(whom's title i don't recall, probably for good reason) that had a big independent kapitalism/free trade going on, there was no control, but also no clear way of knowing what they were going to do, which often meant opponents killed my civilian-units because they wandered off; babysitting without baby-sitting tools xD

Thing is, thus far you 've been designing the game(the real game, what the player gets/needs to do) and only coming to the farmers last and trying to dump the last of the game-formulas/balance on that group to make it a working whole, seems like the correct design-focus to me :)

My brother is an artist so I can get him to make a better map.

~GTE

Not to sound to critical but the game is un-user friendly. It would be nice if there was a tutorial. But overall its pretty good, it has some artwork that needs to be done...but its still a prototype so thats acceptable.

~GTE

But i only have one opinion and already gave it

Me sorry, I know I'm mercilessly squeeze out the last ounce of idea/feedback from people smile.png Thanks for posting.

Another questions related to farms.

- Should there be one "crop" per province or more? For example, should one province produce both wheat and sheep?

- "peasants" class would deal with fishing, farming and woodcutting. Fishing does not eat up land (obvious), but what about woodcutting? If you build a woodcutters camps should it reduce the amount of farms? Or should there be "forest resource" that provide "slots" for woodcutting that is not competing with farming?

- should all provinces have forests (ability to produce wood)? Or just some?

My brother is an artist so I can get him to make a better map.

The map is generated, not drawn (click the EditMap button to check it). Unless you meant a better shape of provinces and colours?

BTW, there are various "modes" there, which one you think look best?

Not to sound to critical but the game is un-user friendly. It would be nice if there was a tutorial. But overall its pretty good, it has some artwork that needs to be done...but its still a prototype so thats acceptable.

I always make the tutorial last (when I know what will work how in the final version biggrin.png). But, please, continue keeping an eye on userfriendliness level, it's important.

- Should there be one "crop" per province or more? For example, should one province produce both wheat and sheep?

If the farmers are gonna stay "independent" they should have no particular problems supplying the province, else the player will have to deal with those problems, and since farmers are "independent" or at least do what they please, it would only frustrate a player .

(i assume only one crop would give the farmers problems)

Wood:

as i would do it, provinces have X forests, enough to provide for X lumbercamps, a player can research/add a replantation-building to a province and from then on the province will have enough trees to supply X multiplied by 1.2 or 1.5 lumbercamps.

Wood:
as i would do it, provinces have X forests, enough to provide for X lumbercamps, a player can research/add a replantation-building to a province and from then on the province will have enough trees to supply X multiplied by 1.2 or 1.5 lumbercamps.
Well... I want to avoid "reforestation" in any form. I mean, the game is primarily about industry, about dirty coal and foundries polluting rivers to make steel. Making the player worrying about planting trees, just... does not seem compatible with the mood of the game :)

OK, what you think about this:

- each province has 3 farming slots (all fully developed/fixed, can't change these), the player can set what is produced in each slot (wheat/sheep/cattle/fruits). There is an icon describing what will grow best on what slot (a typical province would have 1-2 fertile slots suitable for wheat and 1 suitable for animals only (sheep can breed perfectly everywhere, even in mountains))

- each coastal province has also fishing slot with max fishing wharfs, you need to develop/build these (you start with 0/20 for example)

- some provinces have wood slots (identical like fish)

- some provinces have ores (coal, iron, tin, copper, clay) slots (identical like fish)

Each of the slots above would have "richness" parameter (50%-150%) which describes how efficient gathering that resource/crop there is (do not mistake it with max number of buildings). So for example you could have 0/20 coal slot with 80% richness (which mean you can build 20 coal mines in that province but each would produce only 80% of default number of coal), forests usually/always would have everywhere richness of 100%.

Not too bad.

You can have the efficiency of every(/every 5th) next fishing slot diminish as the fishermen need to go out to unfished waters.

What's gonna be the goal of the game ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement