Would Unity be the best for myself? Or another route?

Started by
8 comments, last by ddudek 10 years, 4 months ago

Hello,

I've been doing some research on the many, many different routes I can go with Android development, and I'm hoping someone might be able to help narrow down my choice. My experience is currently web related, PHP/HTML/CSS, with knowledge of intermediate Javascript, etc.

I'd like to create a very similar game to Football Manager, but less ambitious. For those that aren't aware, it's a simulation game where you're the manager of a soccer team.

My ambition is to keep it very simple, dumbed down. No need to watch the games, pretty much all text with simple graphics for some things.

My issue is, trying to find a place to start. There's literally a lot of different routes, and I'm overwhelmed. Do I use HTML5? Java? One of the programs like Unity, Construct?

For my specific game, and idea, what would be your best suggestion on what to use?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

From everything you've said it sounds like Unity might be a good idea but it all depends. Will this game be using 3D graphics? Will you be publishing this game on more platforms than just Android? Do you plan on spending money on this game (there is a free version of Unity but it doesn't publish mobile games and working with teams is challenging)? If you said yes to any of those questions then those are more reasons to use Unity.

From everything you've said it sounds like Unity might be a good idea but it all depends. Will this game be using 3D graphics? Will you be publishing this game on more platforms than just Android? Do you plan on spending money on this game (there is a free version of Unity but it doesn't publish mobile games and working with teams is challenging)? If you said yes to any of those questions then those are more reasons to use Unity.

The free version of unity includes iOS and Android support now.

[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

I appreciate the help.

No 3D graphics on launch, wishful feature way down the road. Android to start, maybe/most likely to others in the future. I'm hoping to develop it freely, so no money unless absolutely needed.

I'd rather not have to pay royalties, or licensing fees of any kind when using an engine.

Oh thanks I didn't know that. In that case, paying isn't necessary.

No 3D graphics on launch, wishful feature way down the road. Android to start, maybe/most likely to others in the future. I'm hoping to develop it freely, so no money unless absolutely needed.

I'd rather not have to pay royalties, or licensing fees of any kind when using an engine.

Unity supports 2D stuff as well but I haven't looked into it enough to know if there are better free alternatives out there. As for 3D stuff I know that it's great, though. I don't think that you need to pay royalties for Unity, but I would double-check if you plan on selling/monetizing your game.

Oh thanks I didn't know that. In that case, paying isn't necessary.

Unity supports 2D stuff as well but I haven't looked into it enough to know if there are better free alternatives out there. As for 3D stuff I know that it's great, though. I don't think that you need to pay royalties for Unity, but I would double-check if you plan on selling/monetizing your game.

From what I can understand, cannot be used by an entity with revenue over $100,000.

http://unity3d.com/company/legal/eula

Entity Size Restrictions for Unity Free

Unity Free, which include the free platform add-on products, may not be licensed or used by a commercial entity with annual gross revenues (based on prior fiscal year) in excess of US$100,000, or by an educational, academic, non-profit or government entity with a total annual budget for the entire entity (based on prior fiscal year) in excess of US$100,000.

--

Doubt that would ever be a problem, but is Unity regarded as the best route for this project either way?

Doubt that would ever be a problem, but is Unity regarded as the best route for this project either way?

In my opinion, yes, but I don't have as much experience as I should with 2D graphics or mobile publishing. In general Unity is a pretty good universal game engine for both developing and publishing. Before using it you should definitely brush up on JavaScript, though.

I'd say HTML5/JS is perfect for him. No need for a full blown engine like Unity.

I would recommend GameMaker Studio, as it is much easier in general to learn than Unity, and it specializes in 2d games removing the 3d overhead....but He doesn't want to pay, and GMStudio doesn't have a free version that can export to Android. In this case, Unity wins.

Unity also gained some native 2D support in the latest version :) It's a rather simple/basic support though, I'm looking forward for how it's going to grow.

For 2D development there's also cocos2d-x, but it's easier to target mainly for iOS using XCode/AppCode (you would need mac). Android version is compiled using ndk, and it may be not that easy to setup good dev environment with working debugger and other tools. Not out-of-the-box for sure.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement