Advertisement Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dimescion

What reference book on C++ should a beginner buy?

This topic is 1857 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone, just signed onto the forum. I'm learning C++ without any prior coding experience and I've bought "Beginning C++ Through Game Programming, Second Edition." which seems to be an excellent tutorial. But Christmas is coming up and I need gift ideas for myself. What C++ reference books would you suggest?

Advertisement

Buying another book may not help.

Consider a subscription to something like www.gameinstitute.com, so you can follow a more structured and practical way of learning C++. I paid for one earlier this year ($99), and while I didn't need the C++ section, others I know have found it to be very helpful.  My main focus was the Unity3D lectures/tutorials on there. 

You can also find an incredible amount of free sources of information for C++, so use a search engine to your advantage. 

I'll second the above book and add that anything you buy make sure it supports c++11 (and/or isn't more than a few years old) things changed a lot with c++11.

Have some C++ student book for general information,

then buy a book for programming for Windows,

after that buy a book for programming in DirectX,

instead of starting with the game programming book for DirectX.

Ofcourse you can choose other options like for Linux or OpenGL, just a example.

Please note : most gameprogramming books dont give you everything, last page Always refers to buy another book instead,

so your better off with that complete C++ book anyways.

greetings

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!