Amsterdam programmer salaries?

Started by
5 comments, last by WhiskyJoe 10 years, 4 months ago

I hope this is not an inappropriate use of the forums after my post about moving to Australia. Now I'm looking into moving to Amsterdam, and I'm wondering if anyone can help me get an idea of what kind of salary I can expect if I'm able to get a job offer over there.

My research so far has been a total crapshoot. From googling, I've found figures ranging from USD $51,269 - $92,000 (EUR 38,451 - 69,000) as the average salary for a programmer in Amsterdam. With a range this big, I just don't know what to expect.

I am a .NET business apps developer - C#, ASP.Net, Winforms, MS SQL, with 6 years experience. I currently earn USD $83,990 (EUR 69,992), which I think is pretty high. Would that be a reasonable salary to expect in Amsterdam?

Advertisement

If you have 6 yrs of proven experience, then you must have some idea about how the system works - so what stops you from signing up with some local recruiters and let them spam all local companies with your resume ?

Give it a week or two and you could start getting some interviews. Plus, the recruiters know the salary range for any given position pretty well and you can get it from them way before investing tons of time into multiple rounds of technical interviews.

Out of curiosity (I've been there few times), what exactly sparked your interest about living in Amsterdam ? Have you actually been there and spent at least few days ?

VladR My 3rd person action RPG on GreenLight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92951596

Amsterdam is a good place for inspiration.

S T O P C R I M E !

Visual Pro 2005 C++ DX9 Cubase VST 3.70 Working on : LevelContainer class & LevelEditor

what stops you from signing up with some local recruiters and let them spam all local companies with your resume ?

Out of curiosity (I've been there few times), what exactly sparked your interest about living in Amsterdam ? Have you actually been there and spent at least few days ?

I would like to supplement my resume with some github projects and a coding blog before applying for a new job. Also, I have heard there is a Dutch language test you have to pass before you can get a work visa.

I have been to Amsterdam twice, both on 24-hour or less tourist visas during layovers on flights between USA and South Africa. But I would need to visit again before moving there. Honestly, my reason for wanting to move is mainly their drug and prostitution laws. Other than Bangladesh, it is the only country where it is legal to show up to a whorehouse stoned. I am not hurting anyone else by doing it, so I can't see why it should be illegal. (I feel the same way about seatbelt laws, or any other victimless crime).

what stops you from signing up with some local recruiters and let them spam all local companies with your resume ?

I would like to supplement my resume with some github projects and a coding blog before applying for a new job. Also, I have heard there is a Dutch language test you have to pass before you can get a work visa.

I have been to Amsterdam twice, both on 24-hour or less tourist visas during layovers on flights between USA and South Africa. But I would need to visit again before moving there. Honestly, my reason for wanting to move is mainly their drug and prostitution laws. Other than Bangladesh, it is the only country where it is legal to show up to a whorehouse stoned. I am not hurting anyone else by doing it, so I can't see why it should be illegal. (I feel the same way about seatbelt laws, or any other victimless crime).

I live in The Netherlands and since a couple of years (I'm not sure how long ago exactly) you will need to have a "weed pass" before you can buy weed. This is mainly to prevent tourists from buying weed. I don't know all the details so it might not even affect you if you get a working visa, but if that's one of the two main reasons you want to come and work in Amsterdam, it might be something you should look into.

Also I might not be a recruiter or something, but if your main reason for wanting to come to Amsterdam would be drugs and prostitutes, I would personally not consider you the best candidate. This is obviously just my opinion and doesn't have to mean this is the case, might be just me though ;)

The recruiter doesn't needs to know that.

"So, why move to Amsterdam?"

"Me? I'm passionate about... city names that start with A."

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

The recruiter doesn't needs to know that.

"So, why move to Amsterdam?"

"Me? I'm passionate about... city names that start with A."

I know. Just stating the (hopefully) obvious here :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement