Advertisement Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Prune

OpenGL Core profile text rendering?

This topic is 1861 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What do I do for core profile text rendering? From what I can tell, freetype-gl only has non-core profile text rendering, even in the OpenGL 3.x branch. NVidia's path rendering extension is old OpenGL as well, requiring the old matrix setting functions etc. Then there's https://github.com/branan/gltext which does use core profile, but does a separate draw call for each character, which is not really acceptable (perhaps glMultiDrawElements can be used to get around that, but it still doesn't seem like a great solution), and doesn't use SDF. And then there's https://code.google.com/p/glyphy which does glyph rasterization on the GPU, but it doens't build on Windows and is horribly undocumented.

Wat do?

Edited by Prune

Advertisement

You can always make your own text renderer.

Use FreeType to generate the glyphs on CPU, upload them yourself to a texture atlas to be rendered on GPU using textured polygons (or render the whole text on CPU and upload that) and thats it. Of course youll need to make sure all the font sizes and properties work correctly, but it doesnt seem like a huge amount of work, especially if you dont need anything fancy.

Yes, I was just looking into whether there was a solution that already handles all the positioning issues including kerning etc. and could rasterize the glyps on the GPU (though that's not critical).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!