• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ryt

Good graphics books

This topic is 2151 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does someone knows any good graphics books that don't explain programming but only theory ? So they are API independent and that are beginner or intermediary level. So that they explain something like Parallax Occulsion Mapping, Relief Mapping and similar.

Advertisement

So they are API independent

Doesn't have to be to understand them. A few I have looked at only use API code as examples, explaining the techniques themselves.

If you're looking for something that's focused on graphics for real-time applications and games, then Real-Time Rendering 3rd edition is (IMO) the best one out there. It's unfortunately a little out-of-date at this point and doesn't include some of the more recent advances in graphics (for instance, compute shaders) but it's still an excellent resource for learning a lot of the foundational material. For something that's aimed more at the offline rendering side of things, Physically Based Rendering 2nd edition is another great choice.

The example you used of Parallax Occlusion Mapping is very specific, and isn't likely to be discussed in detail in a book focused on general graphics theory. It's more something you'd see in a ShaderX/GPU Gems/GPU Pro compilation book.

Edited by MJP

For something that's aimed more at the offline rendering side of things, Physically Based Shading 2nd edition is another great choice.

Didn't you actually mean - Physically Based Rendering 2nd ed. (aka PBRT) - http://www.pbrt.org?

Indeed, I did. happy.png

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!