Question About CS Degrees?

Started by
14 comments, last by bicuspid 10 years, 3 months ago

Hey everyone,

So, I'm in Grade 11 and I was planning on going into Game Programming as a career. Now, I've read from some forums, including this one, and a lot of people have suggested getting a Computer Science Degree. I tried checking the requirements for some random Game Dev job posting and I read that the requirement was a CS Degree as well. But I'm kind of confused because, well let me use University of Toronto as an example. It's CS Program gives you a "Bachelor of Science".

Now I know I'd learn all the skills neccesary and everything, but my question is, even though it says "Bachelor of Science", does it still count as a CS Degree? Would an employer except that if a CS Degree was a requirement?

I suppose this question is more of a general education question but I've actually been confused about this for quite a while.

Thanks everyone :D

- Adnan Zaman

Advertisement

Typically a computer science degree is a bachelor of science (BS). A bachelor of science usually has a major that you specialize in like math, or physics, or computer science. Occasionally a university may offer computer science for a bachelor of arts (BA). Either is fine and what an employer is really asking for is a bachelor level of education with a specialization in computer science or equivalent.

-Josh

--www.physicaluncertainty.com
--linkedin
--irc.freenode.net#gdnet

[since] it says "Bachelor of Science", does it still count as a CS Degree?

Yes. It's a bachelors degree in Computer Science. What jjd said.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I graduated from University of Toronto with a BSc (Computer Science). It seems to have been good enough.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

As an aside, I would also look into Software Engineering (usually a BEng rather than a BSc) over Computer Science if you're specifically into programming, as it's somewhat more focused on the kind of work you'd be doing and more likely to introduce you to C++ earlier (instead of Java and web based stuff that you may encounter in Computer Science).

It does vary dramatically from course to course though, so it's always worth checking out both options.

You can't go wrong with a CS degree, as you'll cover enough ground in every aspect that touches game development that you won't have any issues specializing in this or that.

Wow, thank you everyone!
I'm finally not confused anymore, it all makes sense!

+1 to all of you!
Thanks again, you've all been great help :D

Wait hold on...One last question...
I was checking out the Game Development and Entrepreneurship Program at UoiT a while back and they seem pretty awesome, but they give a "Bachelor of Information Technology (Honours)" http://www.businessandit.uoit.ca/undergraduate/bachelor-of-information-technology/game-development-and-entrepreneurship/index.php

So my question is...Would an employer still accept that? jjd, I read your explanation and I understand it totally...but this isn't really specializing in CS, more like teaching Game Development in general...Would it still be acceptable?

I know I should be more focused on the learning itself and not the name of the degrees (sounds kinda dumb I know xD)..but...Just wanna know if it would work out :D

-Adnan Zaman

Would an employer still accept [Bachelor of Information Technology degree]?

If you want to be a game programmer, why wouldn't you want to take a CS program? Do you have a good reason for why the IT degree appeals to you more? (You would need to answer questions along those lines)

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I did a Bachelor of Information Technology (majoring in Software Engineering). Many of the subjects were the same as in a Comp-Sci degree, but the deep maths subjects were missing, and some more business or practical-IT related subjects were there instead.

It was a decent course, and it's gotten me past the "does he have a degree" HR hiring filter... but if you have the option, then a Comp-Sci degree would probably be better for you. I only took the IT degree because it was my only option, after not caring about grades in high school laugh.png (high school grades directly affect which university courses you're allowed to apply for here).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement