Advertisement Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ryt

Programming Vertex Geometry and Pixel Shaders

This topic is 1873 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Are this books the same, the online edition and second edition ? They have different front cover so I assume they are different. The second edition says it has much more added so I wonder what is the difference.

Advertisement

Tiago has the story mostly right.  Wolfgang Engel originally published Programming Vertex and Pixel Shaders, and I think his plan was to publish a second edition that included the expanded scope of D3D10 with Geometry Shaders.  That effort never made it to the dead tree version, and several of us joined together to finish up the book and publish online.  So the Amazon listing for the second edition was actually never released.

I also agree with Tiago's comment about the newer contents.  Unless you have special requirements to use D3D10, you are much better off going with D3D11 for a variety of reasons.  You can target D3D9+ hardware with the D3D11 API, and it provides a few nice features that make it more usable than D3D10.  The topic has been discussed many times here on the forums, so a few searches should give you lots of detail on the topic.

If anything else is unclear, just ask!

Edited by Jason Z

Actually I once read a topic about different kinds of bump mapping. It was covering information for beginner and also for intermediate level. The topic was about normal mapping, parallax mapping, parallax occlusion mapping and relief mapping. Also it was written for directx 10.

Now I wanted to take a refresher and read it again. I was like 100 % sure that it was in this Programming Vertex Geometry and Pixel Shaders book. Here is a topic Techniques For Dynamic Per-Pixel Lighting that explains some of bump mapping but the one I read was covering more pages about it and more detail.

So I thought that I maybe read the second edition but since you say it never went out it must be some other place.

I haven't read entire book but its a nice book. I liked the topic about lighting.

I haven't read entire book but its a nice book. I liked the topic about lighting.
Thanks for the comment - I actually didn't write that part :) but I agree with you that Jack did a great job on the lighting section!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!