How Many Assets Are Used?

Started by
11 comments, last by leon labyk 10 years, 4 months ago

Learning and don't want to post anything closely related to my other posts.sleep.png

How many assets do you use in your games, i.e. models [playable characters & npc's], textures, audio files, building models, cars etc?huh.png

You can give a rough estimations. Also, how long do you think it takes you to create one model (apart from buildings which are easy huh.png ).

Since when have you been creating games and how many have you finished and what is the time-frame for each game?ohmy.png

Finally how many assets do you think are used in games like gta Vblink.png

*I have this idea*

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32

--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

Advertisement

You can give a rough estimations. Also, how long do you think it takes you to create one model (apart from buildings which are easy huh.png ).

What quality? Very highly polished 3D games can take weeks or months per character model with many different people working on them (concept artists, modelers, texture artists, riggers and animators, VFX artists, etc.)

Simpler models/games of course need way less people, resources, and time. I've seen solo students pump out decent-quality animated characters in around a week, though usually it takes several.

Finally how many assets do you think are used n games like gtablink.png

Many, many, many thousands, made by hundreds of people over a span of multiple years with a budget of several hundred million dollars. Don't compare your own efforts to AAA games; no good can come of it.

Sean Middleditch – Game Systems Engineer – Join my team!

For the professional games I've worked on (Wii/3DS titles) the total number of assets is usually in the tens of thousands. This is with a team with dozens of members, though, with all of us working full time (and often overtime as well). A single important model, like a player character or something, can take an artist or small group of artists weeks to make, and often that model will be continuously refined over the course of the product. Obviously not everything will take this long (just doing the math: 10000 assets / 60 people / 24 months is roughly 7 assets per person per month).

As for GTA: they probably have a mind boggling number of assets. They also have a mind boggling amount of money and labor to make it all happen.

GTA V took well over 1000 experienced team members over 5 years to create - the budget was over 200 million (including marketing and such)

also - im assuming you mean gta V, gta IV was much less but still unattainable for an individual to create such a game.

well - you could do it - it would just take you like 5000 years.. no big deal though

Learning and don't want to post anything closely related to my other posts.sleep.png

How many assets do you use in your games, i.e. models [playable characters & npc's], textures, audio files, building models, cars etc?huh.png

lots...

it depends on the game.

for an FPS, you can probably get by with maybe 5-10 character models (enemy types), maybe "several dozen" random items (weapons, ammo, power-ups, ...), and a larger number of textures and audio files.

my case (for a single-person project, and a sort-of Quake/Minecraft hybrid):

my release textures directory has about 1500 files (culled down mostly to those used in-game, vs ~ 11k for the development directory).

currently I have about 1800 sound-effects (enemy sounds, weapon sounds, ambient sounds, ...).

my models directory has about 840 files, and about 170 directories. the number of directories is more accurate to the number of models, as my models tend to have the meshes and animations and similar as separate files, but are generally one directory per model.

quick count: I have 23 character models (most are various enemy types, several are unused in-game).

my project doesn't currently have any building models or cars.

even with all of this, the game world still looks pretty sparse.

FWIW: my game makes a nice 130MB ZIP file.

compare most other games, which are a little larger than this.
though, nevermind differences like the type of formats used for textures and audio, ...

a lot of mine were pretty quick-and-dirty, and maybe about 30 minutes each I guess.

nevermind a lot of the items which are basically just boxes with slightly different textures.

it is likely to take *much* longer if a person actually tries to make everything look good.

Since when have you been creating games and how many have you finished and what is the time-frame for each game?ohmy.png

I have been working on mine since around late 2010 IIRC (a lot of the code is older, but this was the start of the "game project proper").

this is still my first real game project, and "finished" isn't so clearly defined.

Finally how many assets do you think are used n games like gta:blink:

all of them...

I have no idea actually how big the assets are for such a thing, but it is probably huge.

*I have this idea*

Good question - i would also would like (to ask) - how much geometry- assets is in it and how much texture 2d data, how much video and how much sound (But geometry data amount most interesting for me)

Good question - i would also would like (to ask) - how much geometry- assets is in it and how much texture 2d data, how much video and how much sound (But geometry data amount most interesting for me)

in my case...

geometry: modest.

most small models are generally either simple solid shapes (~ < 100 triangles) to maybe a few hundred triangles.

a lot of my character models are around several thousand triangles, though most of this is due to occasional round shapes having used a lot of surface subdivision. a lot of commercially made models seem to get a bit more mileage out of their triangle budget.

generally they are animated with a skeletal system, and the animations are fairly compact data-wise.

my worlds at present are voxel based (in the 3D array of block-types sense), and generally compress down to about 20MB per km^2, but will Deflate-compress to about 6-8 MB per km^2.

the 20MB statistic is mostly due to my current "region" format using naive byte-based RLE compression.

raw uncompressed voxel data would be around 1GB per km^2, so most of it generally needs to be kept in a compressed form when not in use.

geometry requirements tend to be small vs the voxel data involved (despite triangles being much bigger than voxels, there are much fewer of them, as the vast majority of the voxels don't end up contributing any geometry).

most sound effects are short, and compressed with a custom audio codec (block-based, CBR, 88/132/176 kbps).

there is about 12MB of audio data in this form.

uncompressed, there is probably somewhere around 1 hour worth of sound effects.

most of my textures are anywhere from 128x128 to 512x512, with some smaller (32x32 or 64x64), or larger (1k to 4k, *).

*: generally, my large textures are for things like grass, which cover a several-meter area.

for release, the textures are generally compressed with an extended JPEG variant (with alpha support and similar). they are decompressed and converted to DXTn on load. so, it is about 30MB worth of JPEGs.

the amount of space required for texture data would be a fair bit larger if DDS were used instead of JPEG.

I also have some number of video textures (~ 26), currently mostly using custom codecs.

previously, most were using an extended M-JPEG variant, but this has being displaced by another codec (*2).

like with normal textures, video textures tend to range from 128x128 to 512x512, with 256x256 being most common.

*2: BTIC1C, which is basically an extended form of Apple Video / RPZA, mostly with extensions useful to texturemaps (alpha and mipmaps), and optional (not-backwards-compatible) tweaks to improve compression. a considered extension has been supporting cube-map videos, but this hasn't yet been done. theoretically, it could also be used for textures.

Wow, 10000 is a lot of models. Looks like *my idea* will really come in handy.

If it works (it will smile.png ), it can help a lot, i.e. create models by the hour. Not a joke. Would make my game engine a whole lot more powerful (not creating a game engine anytime soon dry.png ).

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

@BGB:

*I have this idea*

How did you make the BGBtech software. My "*I have this idea*" is somehow related to the bgbtech but takes a completely different angle. Can you lead me to some tutorials or what you had to learn. Would really help me

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--

@BGB:

*I have this idea*

How did you make the BGBtech software. My "*I have this idea*" is somehow related to the bgbtech but takes a completely different angle. Can you lead me to some tutorials or what you had to learn. Would really help me

there is no good way to answer this...

mostly it is all just lots of gathering information off the internet, reimplementing lots of things myself and gluing on random features, and lots of cobbling and duct-tape, all generally without any sort of planning or formal analysis, ...

basically, all the stuff for how a person is not supposed to go about designing/implementing software.

the rest is mostly taking lots of random information and running it through the mental equivalent of a blender, lots of Google + Wikipedia + various random wikis, ...

I am not wanting to go into too much detail about personal history and similar at the moment.

but, ok, yeah, a lot of my early-on programming stuff was learned mostly by hacking around on the Quake source, back in a time back a very long time ago.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement