• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Wenazo

Question: WebGL vs Engines

This topic is 2151 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone,

I was researching about how to create a 3D game, and i found the engines and libraries. I don´t like much the idea of the engines because they cost money and i feel they are a little limitated (personally), and i don't understad how the libraries work. Time later a friend tell me about Artillery.com, i research about that, and I discovered the WebGL and the three.js library, my plan was make my own browser like application, to run the game.

My concerns are:

How safe it is the WebGL

Maybe i need spend a lot of time making an own engine

Work on base a libraries and java, like minecraft

I don't know really how abord this proyect, are soo many posibilities

PD: I try to make a kind a torchilight 2 game (camera like moba games)

srry if i spelling something wrong, i live in chile.

Thaks

Advertisement
WebGL is a pretty great technology. It is a bit lower level (i.e you need to do more things yourself) than a typical game engine. I.e rather than load a model and display it like you usually do in a game engine, you would need to parse the model file, load the data into vertex buffers, write a suitable shader and then iterate through all your objects in the scene and display them.
It sounds like a lot but for a really impressive game, you would generally need to do this additional shader work within a game engine as well (which can often be more convoluted and tricky and less portable).

I found the Javascript garbage collector is not yet able to properly clean up WebGL related memory (shader programs, vertex buffers, etc...) which means you will need to dot around quite a few try catches in order to avoid memory leaks by doing manual memory management. For this reason I suggest using C++ with Emscripten (https://github.com/kripken/emscripten) to properly manage the memory automatically with RAII.

WebGL with Emscripten is also great because you can use SDL, SDL_image, Glut, libpng, Bullet, OpenAL and all those "standard" game technologies. This also means you can port it to the desktop or tablets pretty easily. Edited by Karsten_

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!