Advertisement Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
skwee

Unity Suggestion for a cross-platform C++ 3D game engine/framework

This topic is 1440 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,

I'm looking for a C++ 3D game engine/framework which is either free or cheap for indie developer, available for commercial use.

Those are the features I need

• Free or cheap for indie developer and available for commercial use
  • Written in C++ (preferably C++11 - not mandatory)
  • Cross platform: Windows, Linux and Mac. Consoles/smartphones are not mandatory.
  • OpenGL 3.x+
  • Graphics Subsystem with Scene graph, animation, particles, font, sprites
  • Sound subsystem (either in the framework it self, or ability to attach 3d party API like OpenAL)
  • Physics Subsystem (either in the framework it self, or ability to attach 3d party framework like Bullet/ODE)
  • GUI subsystem (either in the framework it self, or ability to attach 3d party framework like CEGUI)
  • Input subsystem with support for keyboard, mouse and gamepad
  • Scripting support either using Lua or JavaScript (v8)
  • Tools to create content OR ability to use Blender as content creation tool
  • Preferably and not mandatory - Entity subsystem using Component based design.

A big list I got there.. Hope such beast exists.

[Edit] I know there is Unity3D, but for me it looks like a tool where you create content, put it all together, write few scripts and you got a game. While I do want to make games, I also get great satisfaction from Programming.

[Edit2] Its not mandatory that this will be one library. This could be a set of libraries that work together with each other. I'm ready to implement the glue code and missing functionality.

[Edit3] I got a suggestion about this http://mosra.cz/blog/magnum-features.php It have support for modern OpenGL, OpenAL and Bullet physics. I assume its possible to attach GUI, scripting and Entity system of my own to it.

Thank you in advance!

Edited by skwee

Advertisement

If you cann't handle Ogre3D (which in my opinion is far from being messy or confusing) then i wonder if you could handle the "features" you want to have with any engine.

To me it sounds that you are looking for a pure api engine which might be easier to start with but more diificult to deal with later.

Have a look here: http://devmaster.net/devdb/engines

AticAtac

I don't want to turn this thread into pros/cons of Ogre3D. Ogre is complex and big. When I used it, I didn't like it. I might reconsider my decision, but I first to check other alternatives first.

Mussi

Thanks, Ill check the features and will consider if I want to buy it or not.

Other suggestions are welcomed.

Yea, Ogre3D is usually the first framework people recommend.

But for me Ogre3D is very bloat, big, confusing and messy. The learning curve is very high, their examples are not good enough, a lot of polymorphism to support both OpenGL and DirectX, messy plugin system, bad architecture (over-usage of Singleton pattern).

I want something more clear both in design and in usage.

I don't know about you, but Ogre3D architecture uses singletons very well, its architecture is very good imho.

The engine may be bloated, but that's expected once a library gets widely used. The fact that it has something you won't use doesn't affect your development.

You could simply go ahead and code DirectX and OpenGL directly if that really is a problem.

Take a look at Polycode, I've never used it myself (got frustrated by the lack of documentation back then) but it is very good.

Edited by dejaime

dejaime

Well, again, Ogre3D is a matter of taste. I didn't like it.

I could code DX or OGL, but this is what I'm trying to avoid, since I want to make games and not engines.

Polycode looks nice! Ill check it better in comparison to Magnum I mentioned earlier. Those two looks very solid for me!

V3ntr1s

Yeah, Irrlicht looks good.

Anyway, looks like many people are happy with Ogre3D and I'm probably misinformed or still padawan in game making. Therefor I'd like to ask:

All the guys who suggested Ogre3D: did you make any game or went further than running the Ogre3D examples? Did you successfully integrated sound, physics, ui, scripting into Ogre3D? Maybe I just got frustrated by the examples, therefor I have wrong understanding of Ogre3D

Thanks in advance.

Edited by skwee

This topic is 1440 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.