Where to begin?

Started by
3 comments, last by superman3275 10 years, 4 months ago

Hi all,

I want to make a 2d online rpg.

Nothing too fancy. Controls will respond to wasd or arrow keys. There should be simple character models in the game. With dynamic npcs and a simple combat system that respond to presses or clicks like the space bar. Kind of like the original Zelda.

There should be some kind of game engine for it, and it should be able to evolve and be upgraded.

I have very basic experience in C/C++, python and have built little games such as snake, and tic tac toe on Linux.

When it comes to developing a graphical 2d or 3d game though, I have no idea where to start.

Any tips where I should begin?

Such as any software, game development graphics, or existing game engines I should look into?

Again it shouldn't be too fancy and the development time should be fair.

I want to develop this game for Windows or browser if possible.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks!

Advertisement

That is quite difficult to answer. What you should do is to research different search engines, game libraries, and programming languages and decide what's best for your game.

I personally use Allegro for 2D games, but it doesn't have browser support. For browsers Flash and HTML5 come to my mind, so you might want to research those.

You might also want to take a look at this list of game engines on wikipedia.

EDIT: Also take a look at this.

By online do you mean plays in a browser, or play with friends via the internet?

For the latter, you are going to want to look for a networking library for C++.

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

Thanks for the reply,

I am looking forward to making a game that you can play with friends, it can be browser based or not browser based.

Did some research with game engines.

I am currently testing out unity, c# seems to be based of c so it shouldn't be much a challenge for me to pick it up along the way but I think I might use a open source engine later on.

I believe that going with Unity is good. However, before even trying Unity, you should actually *learn* C#, without any other libraries. Make some console games / applications. Then, you can pick up Unity.

Cheers, :)!

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja !

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

hobohm.business@gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here !

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement