• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
theholychilli

Best programming language for 2D game development

This topic is 2144 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,

I am starting to learn games development and I want to know the best programming language to start with and to make 3D games with.

I already know Python, but in my opinion, I don't really like it.

What can you suggest? And what tutorials can you guys recommend?

Thanks,

Ryan

Advertisement

I am starting to learn games development and I want to know the best programming language to start with and to make 3D games with.

sorry but there actually is no best language - beginners hate hearing this answer but its true

some common languages used though

c++

java

c#

c

python

lua

by far these are not the only ones - but they are the most common I have personally seen - you really gotta read about all of them to make a decision..

ApochPiQ said it pretty darn well:

http://www.gamedev.net/blog/355/entry-2254835-which-x-should-i-use/

Instead of answering the question, he abstracted it one level and wrote a few functions with a few variables. Just plug in your language(s) or api(s) into the article and you'll have your answer!

I'm back from a pretty long hiatus and started re-noticing these patterns. I was just about to write a similar post but saw he had beaten me to it (by about a year and a half).

- Eck

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!