"Rendering System" or "Render System" ... ?

Started by
5 comments, last by Noctumus 10 years, 4 months ago

Intuitively I think "Rendering System" sounds more correct, but both give plenty of hits on Google (OGRE, for example, has a class called RenderSystem) so I was wondering what you guys think is the more grammatically correct term? Or do they actually have different meanings?

Advertisement

If you have a system for how to walk, you have a walking system. A system for walking.

Not only does “rendering” fall under the same context as “walking” as a verb, in the form of a noun it is still called a “rendering”.

A system for rendering graphics is a rendering system. The result of a rendering system is a rendering.

The only 2 places in which “render” exists as a word on its own on Wikipedia’s entry on rendering in computer graphics are:

It is also common to render only parts of the scene at high detail, and to remove objects that are not important to what is currently being developed.

Rendering for movies often takes place on a network of tightly connected computers known as a render farm.

“Render” can be used an as adjective, however, unlike “walking”, and in the case of “render farm” it describes the type of farm, and in “render system” it describes the type of system.

Both are grammatically correct, but “rendering system” should be preferred.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

If you have a system for how to walk, you have a walking system. A system for walking.

Not only does “rendering” fall under the same context as “walking” as a verb, in the form of a noun it is still called a “rendering”.

A system for rendering graphics is a rendering system. The result of a rendering system is a rendering.

The only 2 places in which “render” exists as a word on its own on Wikipedia’s entry on rendering in computer graphics are:

It is also common to render only parts of the scene at high detail, and to remove objects that are not important to what is currently being developed.

Rendering for movies often takes place on a network of tightly connected computers known as a render farm.

“Render” can be used an as adjective, however, unlike “walking”, and in the case of “render farm” it describes the type of farm, and in “render system” it describes the type of system.

Both are grammatically correct, but “rendering system” should be preferred.

L. Spiro

Thanks! Good explanation :)

If you have to put the word "system" in your class name, you are almost certainly violating SRP.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

I suggest, adequate for the season, Reindeer system.

I suggest, adequate for the season, Reindeer system.

class ReindeeringSystem:HoHoHo { ... };

Lol, in that case I should probably use a BinaryChristmasTree for managing scene objects internally tongue.png

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement