Advertisement Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
iceelf

Type of game for a newbie?

This topic is 1869 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

what would be the best type of game to create if you're new to game making?

what program and language would fit a newbie?

Advertisement

|EDIT|

I didn't answer the first part of your question so here that part goes... I would focus on creating easy clones for a while, pong, space invaders or asteroids are all excellent choices. After that you can move on to games a big larger in scale, perhaps a simple platformer or a puzzle game. The idea is to start small in scope and progress onto larger and larger projects, you can't learn to run before you can walk! Programming is the same way.

|DONE EDIT|

It all depends on your preference and what you know and want to learn. Is there a certain language you want to learn or one you know already?

I don't believe those aspects to be terribly important, but if your goal is to eventually program a game using technology X and Y it would be best to recommend some APIs and languages that would eventually guide you there.

I personally started game development with C# and XNA, a lot of people around here might suggest using something more current, but for a beginner I think you could still learn a ton really quickly using a XNA or MonoGame with C#.

If you know any C++ you could use a graphics library such as SFML or SDL for graphics.

There are plenty of game engines out there these days too, while I haven't personally used it, plenty of people use Unity to great effect. 

The possibilities are nearly endless smile.png. Is there a certain direction you were leaning?

Edited by DishSoap

Thanks for the info!

I already started learning C++ but there's still a lot to cover though..

Let's say I mastered the basic games, would RPGs be ideal for the next level?

If by mastering the basic games you mean you have developed a couple of the games mentioned above then I don't see why not. A top down rpg or some creative twist on 2D rpgs wouldn't be too far off. 

If you don't have much experience now and are wanting to learn C++, while building a game, find yourself a good book or reference for C++ and program a text based rpg or text based adventure game. That may not sound too interesting but I think you will learn that they are a lot of fun to create. You will be amazed at how much you learn about a language from coding that style of game as well. 

Edited by DishSoap

I would like to add to completely finish these small games/clones from front to back. Not just the game itself but also a different screens like the menu, options, credits, game over, etc. Pause function a hud with health or scores and the ability to end the game trough a menu etc. These skills will help you a great deal when designing you own games.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!