Writer looking for FREE work!

Started by
8 comments, last by J. Faraday 10 years, 2 months ago

Hey;

I'm a writer looking to be hired (for free). I WANT to build up my profolio. Anyone interested in "hiring" me?

Advertisement

Hmm. I could easily come up with some editing work for you (which would be really useful to me), but showing editing in a portfolio presents some technical difficulties. I've got writing "homework" assignments from previous lectures I've given related to game writing. That wouldn't be of use to a game project though, it would be only for your portfolio; on the plus side though you could retain all the rights. If you're willing to relinquish any exclusive rights _and_ don't care if it gets used in an actual game or if you get paid if it does, I could give you a prompt to develop a location or faction within one of my game designs. If none of those are up your alley, try describing what kind of writing you want to do in more detail. :)

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Hmm. I could easily come up with some editing work for you (which would be really useful to me), but showing editing in a portfolio presents some technical difficulties. I've got writing "homework" assignments from previous lectures I've given related to game writing. That wouldn't be of use to a game project though, it would be only for your portfolio; on the plus side though you could retain all the rights. If you're willing to relinquish any exclusive rights _and_ don't care if it gets used in an actual game or if you get paid if it does, I could give you a prompt to develop a location or faction within one of my game designs. If none of those are up your alley, try describing what kind of writing you want to do in more detail. smile.png

Sure. My favorite genre is Science-Fiction/Cyberpunk/Steampunk. I can try other genres. Also i don't care if my "idea" will be used in game(s).

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/650976-pictures-of-my-new-unannounced-project/
Their recent post claiming that others' work (including a hand-drawn sketch by famous architect Hugh Ferriss) is from their own game worries me. I'd be wary about putting your intellectual property in their hands.

demichouse,
Locking the thread as inappropriate for our discussion forums. Please use the Classifieds for your work-seeking efforts. Thanks, and good luck.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

demichouse,
Locking the thread as inappropriate for our discussion forums. Please use the Classifieds for your work-seeking efforts. Thanks, and good luck.

Hey, I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to make the judgment call that this thread falls under both "portfolio help" and "request for educational material/advice/assignments", which are both valid topics for this forum, since the OP already said they didn't care if the assignment was used in a game or not.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/650976-pictures-of-my-new-unannounced-project/
Their recent post claiming that others' work (including a hand-drawn sketch by famous architect Hugh Ferriss) is from their own game worries me. I'd be wary about putting your intellectual property in their hands.

Errm. Yeah that's pretty sketchy. >.> But a moderator's already on top of that, so I don't have to get involved in it. I'll just go with the option of giving an "assignment" that isn't connected to anything; my current project's fantasy anyway so it would be a bit off topic.

Science Fiction Game Writing Assignment:

The game is an adventuring party RPG set in space. The main character is the captain of a spaceship which he/she has earned control of from a mercenaries' guild in the beginning of the game. The ship is crewed by NPCs that have been recruited by the player in the previous part of the game. What you are to write is a plot event that takes place in the middle of the RPG.

The event: The player is informed of an upcoming conference between the three largest space forces (One the military of a monarchy with a parliament and the royal family as popular figureheads; one the military of their semi-friendly neighbor an empire with a dictatorial oligarchy, and the smallest of the three is the player's own faction, the mercenaries' guild.) This conference is an annual event which usually means nothing aside from some polite politicking. But this year people within the dictatorial oligarchy have been pressing to start a war with the monarchy. They can't get majority support to just start a war out of nowhere, so instead this faction wants to cause an incident at this conference that will make the kingdom take a warlike action. The NPC captain of the oligarchy's ship is actually a friend and/or romantic interest the player has met previously. He/she is not part of the faction that wants war, but his/her superior officer is, and the oligarchy's captain will lose his/her job or face court-martial if he/she disobeys the orders from his/her superior officer, even if the captain realizes these orders will start a war. What the oligarchy's captain doesn't know is the other half of the plan: to sacrifice him/her as a scapegoat to keep the war-mongers' reputation clean after the incident occurs. The player is supposed to prevent war at all costs, but can personally choose to deliver this warning and help the oligarchy captain escape this trap if possible.

What to write: outline plus full script following that outline for the sequence from the player's ship arriving at the space station where the conference is being held, through some plot branches, to the point where the oligarchy's captain either has to return home to face punishment, has to abandon their ship and flee with the player, or other ending(s) of the writer's choice. Of particular importance is inventing the details of the war-starting incident planned by the war-mongering faction. Please note any dialogue exchanges which should affect the player's relationship score with an NPC or faction.

(permissions: anyone can freely use this assignment and include the text of it with their response)

Hey, I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to make the judgment call

Your call.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Sunandshadow, I dont know you would automatically assign something to a person you havent seen any material from, thats asking for trouble. Lol writing is alot more than putting words on paper. . .

??????

I could always use writers for creating content for our game -- small online roll playing game. The position gives a lot of freedom of creativity as there is a wide spectrum of content. If you're interested, please contact me.

Joe

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement