Advertisement Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
baseball435

So I want to make an MMORPG

This topic is 1855 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So I want to make an MMORPG, what do you guys think or recommend. I have a good amount of java experience with creating games. Just need some sugestions.

Thanks!

Advertisement

If you have experience in networking, client and server in Java world, I would say take a crack at it.

You might want to learn more about html and java applet since java mmo games are played on a browser. 

If you do not, you will need to learn and apply concepts from those areas first to get a better sense of that particular type of project.

Edited by warnexus

So I want to make an MMORPG, what do you guys think or recommend.

Don't. Simply, don't. Unless you've got a good chunk of fellow programmers who also have very good experience with programming games (btw, has there ever been an MMORPG in java). And to clarify, since I might appear less helpful, there is nothing wrong with programming an online game for say 32-64 players or such, but MMO stands for enormous amounts of people, speaking 1000-2000 and more at a time, and handling this is just way too much to chew for anything but at least a mid-scale game company. If that is what you want, I refer you to my first "don't". Otherwise, stock up your experience in networking, threading etc... , and I'm pretty sure you'll have to at least write one small scale 2-player like online game before you seriously should tackle anything bigger (unless you want it to become a big ugly mess, which I belive you wouldn't).

Out of curiousity have you made an mmorpg before or know how to make them that can give me pointers? I don't clearly understand why you're killing my hopes and saying "don't" and I'm curious why

Yeah no I guess I'm looking more in the hundreds to thousands (at most if Im ever lucky). I'm probably being too optimistic but thats what I have in mind. Thats pretty cool though, yeah they're definitely fun to program

Out of curiousity have you made an mmorpg before or know how to make them that can give me pointers? I don't clearly understand why you're killing my hopes and saying "don't" and I'm curious why

Well let me try to explain it with a metapher: Say you where a good engineer, and you can build like a car engine in reasonable time. Now you asked if anyone could give you pointers how to build a space rocket. Have I built one before myself? No, but I'd still tell you "don't" since its impossible alone without proper funding and a huge team. See, the engineer is you, the car engine is any normal game, and the rocket would be an MMORPG. Thats why I'm telling you you shouldn't do it, because you'd never get to finish it in any means. Now, if its just about trying it, ok, feel free to go ahead, but be sure that you can cope with disappointment. The way I'm putting these things as facts, as a matter of fact they could become painful ones to you.

Also, your questions appear a little vague (which is one more reason to tell you not to try to create and MMORPG). What do you want to have recommended? Programming languages? Books, resources, code snippets, design patterns, better things to do with your time than such a over-the-top-project (sorry, I had to)? Well lets say you aim realistically at a smaller scale online game. Once again I would strongly suggest you not targeting anything about two digits of players. Do you actually know anything about threaded programming, network programming, maybe databases (relational databases as in the theoretic stuff, MySQL for the practical part)? If not, here is my recommandation, learn everything possible about it, and try to create some kind of tech-demo using those kind of stuff. Its much easier to help you once you've encountered a specifc issue (my server keeps crashing) or have a specifc question (how do I manage my games online lobby) than just "tell me how to make the WoW", which this pretty much sounds yet.

btw, has there ever been an MMORPG in java

Well, there's RuneScape.

Speaking of which... You should perhaps try something on the scale of what's now known as RuneScape Classic (which originally was created by just a few people), or even simpler. In other words, very simple graphics, simple interface, simple mechanics, etc. Actually, scratch that - you'd be best starting with creating a MUD before trying something on a larger scale.

Well, there's RuneScape.

Ah, good old runescape, how could I miss that. I quess starting of with something runescape classic started off of  (being the devious-MUD) would be a good start.

This topic is 1855 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.