My Online RPG - Update #3

Started by
6 comments, last by gareth_mcdaid 10 years, 4 months ago
Hey everyone! Update #3 on my online game is now uploaded to YouTube and it demonstrates the item system and equipment system that I added in over the past 4-5 hours (18-19 hours total)! :pirate:
Things I Added:
  • Item System
  • Inventory System
  • Equipment System
  • Fade in effect
  • Changed the GUI to look nicer
  • Added new tabs to the HUD
Hope you guys like it and please let me know what you guys think of this new update! :yeye:
Update #3:
-Baseball435
Advertisement

I can't see the video right now, but it apears that you've really gone for the sugestions on the other thread and started with an ORPG.

When i got on this forum I had the same dream of making an MMO. I also did not believe on all the posts saying how hard it was, but after sometime I got bored with the idea.

It seens that starting small and growing the game little by little you may someday be able to deliver an MMO, I look forward for your reports.

That said, i think you should start an developer journal here on GDNet.

Moving you to Your Announcements, but you would probably be better off posting these entries in a developer journal. smile.png

Congratulations of the progress!

- Jason Astle-Adams

I would agree about the some posts in the developer journal section of the site.

Developer with a bit of Kickstarter and business experience.

YouTube Channel: Hostile Viking Studio
Twitter: @Precursors_Dawn

TBH it seems like you are just making standard RPG features right now. What will likely be bottlenecking the project is networking where you need to actually develop online-related features like database linking, client side extrapolation and network culling and getting them to scale with your player count. Plus, the actual massive amount (compared to some other game genres) of content a proper RPG game would need.

Still, good luck to the project, may you gain strength from the skeptics' opinions :)

TBH it seems like you are just making standard RPG features right now. What will likely be bottlenecking the project is networking where you need to actually develop online-related features like database linking, client side extrapolation and network culling and getting them to scale with your player count. Plus, the actual massive amount (compared to some other game genres) of content a proper RPG game would need.

Still, good luck to the project, may you gain strength from the skeptics' opinions :)

I have already put in client side extrapolation into things like movement to "predict" where the player is. With network culling I have Implemented some of that where it will only update entities if a player is in their room which helps a lot. Databases are going to come into play with registering users too. Thanks! :)

I'd like to be apart of this project if possible :)

Random thoughts.
4 connected clients each running at a different FPS, each with different ping/pong times, requires Frame rate independent movement
Using the elapsed time between frames to update the position , 1000/60 elapsed time = 16.6.

One method is reading keyboard input detecting directional changes, recording a time stamp and position for each directional change, this information is sent back to the server on average once every 200 milliseconds.

The sever as a tick rate of say 5 ticks for each second of time.

The server and client can use a buffer of previous player positions to achieve movement interpolation, this approach can’t be used for PVP in real time as there is no prediction ahead of time for the new player positions.

Projectiles can have predetermined behaviour using a sine wave generator, the client sends a player shoot packet back to the server, included is the position, angle and a time stamp, the server positions each projectile based of it’s elapsed time from being alive, With this information the server checks to see the bullet isn’t being positioned elsewhere and proceeds to send all connected clients the ally shoot packet.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement