Hey, can someone (Gamer/Developer) help me out (Questions).

Started by
2 comments, last by teckpow 10 years, 4 months ago

So i am making a 2D Zelda-Syle RPG Game. Can someone answe these questions (i want Gamer/Developers opinion)

1. How long should a game be (2D Zelda-Style RPG Game)?

2. Is Unity good for it? Should i sign up for the ID@Xbox program?

3. Should i release on Xbox One?

4. Free or Price ($5 I'll max go).

Thanks

Advertisement

You really have to answer all those questions yourself, either by deciding on something or researching it.

That entirely depends on you. Games can be as short as 10 minutes or as long as eternity. What you might want to do is to play some games you think are similar to what you're making and based on your experience decide on how long your game should be.

For this, you have to research different engines and game libraries, note down their features, and then decide which is best for what you want to make. Here's a list of game engines on wikipedia.

I don't know much about Xbox One development so I can't help you on this at all.

That depends on your business strategy and can't be answered easily. Read some articles about the business side of game development. Good articles on this can be found on GameDev.net and Gamasutra.

So i am making a 2D Zelda-Syle RPG Game. Can someone answe these questions (i want Gamer/Developers opinion)

Thanks

1. If it's an RPG, it should be just as long as the story that you (hopefully) wrote with it. If you don't have a story (you should have some basic idea, since it's an RPG), you should have it short and expand if needed. How short depends entirely on that gameplay/settings/how fun it is to play, etc.

2. Unity is good. Specially after the newest update (4.3) that now has an added support for 2D game development. However, Unity is not the only player in the park. You should pick an editor/engine you are comfortable with and something that fits your game. For example, don't use UDK if you want to make a 2D retro pixel arcade.

3. If you want to, sure why not? That is, if you get accepted: http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/developers/id

4. You can't put a price on the game just yet. You don't even know how long it's gonna be or in what editor/engine you are going to develop it in. You have to find the balance of "free game and more downloads" vs "paid game and less downloads".

As gezegond answered before, these are all answers that don't answer your question directly. That's because you are asking questions that you can only answer. These are questions that you have to ask YOURSELF when developing the game. Nobody can say "yeah, you should sell the game for $2.99 cause thats the most correct way" or whatever else.

Regards,

Gunnar

Okay:

1. As long as you want, just be sure it makes sence, put yourself on the player's place, that should by itsefl help you.

2. Unity is a pain for such a small project, use something easier like PyGame or Orx for 2d project, they are free unlike Unity which cost a four digit number(ofc if you want to develop in a legal environment). You should check the list from wikipedia given above and look for 2d engines only, because believe me or not but JRPG(Zelda is a JRPG) are lightweight projects. They require less quality graphics(pixelart magic) and more coding because of the systems(dialogs,inventory,battle etc.)

3. Where did that come from? It is your choice, but personally I would not. A JRPG looks good on PC and Web, but definitely not on fancy things like XBox(As I mentioned it is your choice).

4.Definitely free, I believe this is your first time on JRPGs(otherwise you wouldn't be posting this). Developing a JRPG looks easy but is pretty complex so when you are experienced enough you may consider putting a price on it but this part is out of my understanding, I've always used to develop open source/free projects to support the Free Software Foundation. Anyways it's up to you on this part.

Best of Luck,
Teckpow

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement