Advertisement Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Nathan2222_old

What should I start with ?

This topic is 1864 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all.
Its been a while since i posted a new thread and i need something.
Should i start learning game dev with 2d or 3d games? :/
I know as a beginner, you have to start small with games like pong and the only pong related game i feel motivated to create is a simple 3d table tennis game ( two duplicate characters, a ball, the table, bats, and net in a building).
I know how to use blender but not at pro level i.e. i've modelled characters, rigged them and some other stuff. And 2d doesn't seem natural to me. The only 2d games i've played and liked is blockbreaker and angry birds (both on mobile).
It takes me less effort to make a character in 3d than in 2d and these really matter to me:
1. Realism
2. Physics, etc.

I know i'll need to use engines for 3d games and udk and torque 3d are the only viable options because ce3 works only with internet and i don't have wifi access and an internet based engine is unpredictable. I am willing to learn whatever i need for 3d games.

All my games will be for windows and xbox. Genres will be racing, open world, adventure and a game that will create a new genre (probably).
Sorry if it's long, what do you think?:-|

Advertisement

That's something you should decide by yourself but I'll give you my personal opinion: If you're more comfortable with 3D then work in 3D. Many of the things you need to learn for developing a game is the same whether you want to make a 2D or a 3D game anyway.

UDK and Torque are good options but also take a look at the Unity engine, specially if you haven't designed a game before as it is very suitable for beginners.

That's something you should decide by yourself but I'll give you my personal opinion: If you're more comfortable with 3D then work in 3D. Many of the things you need to learn for developing a game is the same whether you want to make a 2D or a 3D game anyway.

UDK and Torque are good options but also take a look at the Unity engine, specially if you haven't designed a game before as it is very suitable for beginners.

Great. I'm not developing for mobile and the free version of unity has some features locked away except you pay $1500 (when i last checked) and am not willing to pay that.

Hi Nathan,

Its nice to see you now have some realistic projects at mind. These will help you greatly with your other game ideas, you just need to stick with it. I would reccomend starting with a 2D game, this will allow you to learn the tools you want to work with more quickly, if you want to use 3d objects you still can just keep your game 2 dimensional. Once you have a pong clone running with all the features you want, then look at controlling the camera and adding a 3d dimension to your game.

Hmm, the leap from Pong to a 3D Table Tennis game is pretty substantial. The whole point of making pong is to do something simple that will only take a couple of hours, but will show the the building blocks of how a game is made.  Adding animated characters and 3D physics adds massive complexity to some of the stages.  By all means use 3D models for your assets, but keep it simple (e.g. 2d physics, no animations).  The whole idea is you get it done quickly, then move onto something else adding new techniques with every project.  If you make your first game too hard, there are too many places where you can get stuck and it could kill your motivation.

Hi Nathan,

Its nice to see you now have some realistic projects at mind. These will help you greatly with your other game ideas, you just need to stick with it. I would reccomend starting with a 2D game, this will allow you to learn the tools you want to work with more quickly, if you want to use 3d objects you still can just keep your game 2 dimensional. Once you have a pong clone running with all the features you want, then look at controlling the camera and adding a 3d dimension to your game.

Kirkkaf, it's been a while. Know this, i always had realistic projects in mind, i just wanted to know about the biggest realistic first.
Wonder how i'm gonna implement pong in c++ or lua or which engine i'm gonna use because i don't really wanna search for 2d engines now, maybe i will search, maybe not.

and udk and torque 3d are the only viable options because ce3 works only with internet [...] and an internet based engine is unpredictable.

have +1 rep on me for realizing that CryEngine is ridiculous for the online requirement smile.png. I am not sure why CryTek is wasting indie developers time with this crap quite frankly.

As for you other options, you do have more than UDK and Torque 3D. A 3D table tennis game should not be too tricky in Irrlicht, Unity or DarkGDK.

OpenGL and Ogre3D might be a bit too "hands-on" when starting out but with enough 3rd party libraries, there is no reason why they should be much more work.

MonoGame is kind of an intermediate between low level OpenGL and a high level game engine like Unity. However it has loads of sample projects that you can grab the code from effectively making it almost as full featured as a game engine.

ThreeJS is also becoming very popular if you can stomach Javascript.

My personal suggestion is start with a 2D game in OpenGL and C++. Keep with these technologies and keep building up your own codebase until you are at a level to make a 3D pong game. That way your experience grows with your codebase. Then at the end of it you can make a game in C++ and OpenGL that really does work on all platforms with suprisingly little modifications. Edited by Karsten_

and udk and torque 3d are the only viable options because ce3 works only with internet [...] and an internet based engine is unpredictable.

+1 rep on me for realizing that CryEngine is ridiculous for the online requirement. I am not sure why CryTek is wasting indie developers time with this crap quite frankly.

As for you other options, you do have more than UDK and Torque 3D. A 3D table tennis game should not be too tricky in Irrlicht, Unity or DarkGDK.

OpenGL and Ogre3D might be a bit too "hands-on" when starting out but with enough 3rd party libraries, there is no reason why they should be much more work.

ThreeJS is also becoming very popular if you can stomach Javascript.

Yeah, and they don't even have an actual indie license (last time i checked). Not really interested in Java or java related programming.
Maybe i will start with my 3d pong idea. Hmm

@karsten: i don't know how opengl will work with windows because i prefer directx and i use windows only.

Opengl is cross platform so It'll work on every system. (the available version is different, windows can use the highest version)

DirectX is the other choice, is windows specific.

It's mostly a matter of taste

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!