Advertisement Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
coder_for_life22

Mechanics of a Match-3 Game

This topic is 1864 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all,

This is my first time posting on this forum and would like to seek help from you guys.

I am trying to create a match-3 style game but i am struggling with the logic behind it.

Here is a few questions i have:

1. What is the logic for creating randomly generated levels to ensure their are always a move available to a user?

2. How would one go about raising the difficulty like in candy crush as the levels increase?

3. Is it better to use physics for such a game or not?

Advertisement

1. What is the logic for creating randomly generated levels to ensure their are always a move available to a user?

I don't think most match-3 games put any effort into this. For the initial configuration you can check that indeed there is a move available, and then simply keep generating random configurations until that's the case. If the size of the puzzle and the number of types of things to match are reasonably chosen, there should be moves available the overwhelming majority of the time.

2. How would one go about raising the difficulty like in candy crush as the levels increase?

Candy Crunch is very transparent about how they do this: They tell you what the criteria for passing a level are and you see when they introduce new obstacles (jelly, stones, etc.). The size of the puzzle and the number of types of things to match are also used to modulate difficulty.

3. Is it better to use physics for such a game or not?

Not. You can add fancy transition animations that make it look like physics, but keep the logic simple.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!