• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Jacob Daniel Dinsmore

What programming language should I learn for RPG? Game engine?

This topic is 2138 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I am very new to game creation and have some questions about it. I want to create a RPG but I have no programming knowledge past the "hello world" test. I was wondering what the best programming language to learn would be to create a RPG. Also wondering what the best engine would be to develop a RPG on. I have some experience with UDK but I'm willing to learn how to use other engines. 

Here are some of the basic things I want in my RPG. I want it to be a first person party based RPG with the ability to Co-Op with other players. I want it for the PC. It will have 12 different classes and at least 6 playable races. Heavily stat based. In depth professions and crafting. Open world free roam somewhat like in Oblivion. Deep story line and quests. And huge amounts of content as far as weapons, armor, monsters, ect.. 

Pretty much my game plan is to find out what the best programming language is, and then keep developing my game on paper while I learn it. Once I feel I've learned enough to get started, I will, probably years down the road. 

I know that this post leaves a lot unsaid. Please point out anything I'm missing and I'm open to all criticism as long as its productive in some way. 

Also if anyone has any books that they think will be helpful to learn your suggested language, please let me know.

Advertisement
The only engines that come to mind are unity - multiple languages, udk - unrealscsipt and source engine - not sure, maybe torque - torquescript. Cryengine requires an internet connection everytime you want to develop your game and that is not safe :/.
If you want to use udk or others, you can check for their tutorials. Join their forums (unity, udk, maybe torque) and ask this question. They'll give a more experienced advice than mine. :)

Thank for advice everyone. I plan on taking some programming classes and I'm buying some starter books tonight. Pretty much the game I described is my dream of what I could accomplish. Hopefully I will also have help at some point as well. For me its more about the fun of making and planning a game then the end goal at this point. Also I wasn't planning this RPG to be my first piece of work. I just want the skills I learn to be directed in a way that will help me with that down the road. Anyways thanks for advice

A way to pick a language is to take note of all the game engines that you can find, since you will use a game engine to make your games in the end (you'll either pick one that's ready to use and which is free or commercial, or make your own).

Each engine supports one or more languages - some engines may also come paired with a proprietary language, like NuclearBasic.

You can make a list with the engines and the languages that they support, and realize which set you'd be comfortable working with, considering several aspects such as: 

- The cost to license the set for commercial use;

- Supported target platforms; 

- The kind of games that you can make with the set (genres of games, if only 2D or only 3D or both etc.); 

- How quickly you can make polished, original works with the set;

- How easy it is to bring the works from visual artists and sound artists to the set (file formats it supports, exporter plugins for third-party software etc.);

- The learning curve that the set requires.

Edited by Kryzon

My personal favorite is Unity3D.  I use C# as the scripting language, but you can use JavaScript or Boo.  Unity provides a very user friendly interface that is very easy to learn.  There are a plethora of tutorials on how to use the engine online so you can begin the design of your game very quickly.  

On the coding side, I would not start on an RPG.  These games usually include 50 - 100 pages of description on combat systems, balancing, items, menu systems and much much more and all of that require a very good understanding of coding practices.  I would start smaller, with a game that requires less programming, such as a puzzle game, or platformer.  You could even start by programming small components of an RPG such as the inventory and the menu system.  

I think that it would be possible for you to create this game, but keep in mind that most RPGs take teams of 10 - 50 people months if not years to complete.  If you tackle it yourself, it will take a very long time to complete. 

How I see things, is that you shouldn't focus solely on graphics when developing alone. You should start with the most basic mechanics and rules that your game has and expand on these. At first just create a program that let's your avatar to run around. Next add a simple entity to populate your world just for testing purposes. Then make player character attack animation and make it play with each time mouse is pressed. Next make entity react when player does his swing sufficently close to it and so on until you have a full fledged game.

As for a programming language, it really doesn't really matter as long as it has some sort of library to make your graphics programming so that you don't have to "reinvent the wheel all the time".

I myself try to program a grand strategy game by myself like this in Python. So far It has working basic mechanics, but not much else. From time to time I will improve it further and further.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!