• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Sckuz

Dreamcast

This topic is 2136 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, I'm a video game programmer who's goal is to move his current programming to the Sega Dreamcast. Does anyone have links to help me accomplish this? I was looking for stuff to buy and i don't exactly know how i should purchase items. I was thinking DC Linux. I have a keyboard from the PSO days, somewhere. I was moderately addicted to PSO. 

Anyway... I Like DC Linux and would prefer it, but would you guys mind if i used any links you have at your disposal? Do you think purchasing a broadband adapter or burning programs to disks would work?

I was addicted to PSO in the dial-up days. I'm also searching to get my DC working on broadband. I still have the ancient Dreamcast standard dial modem. .

Any advise?? I'm looking to start anew completely, On Dreamcast, preferably.

Edited by Sckuz

Advertisement
There are good Dreamcast emulators, which can run disk images. Use them, since testing whatever you develop is going to be greatly faster and cheaper than burning disks and placing them in an actual console.

Do you mean to use LinuxDC to compile your code?  If so, then I'm not sure what to tell you.  Otherwise, I'd recommend you get KallistiOS, which was recently updated to version 2.0.  You can use an SD card adapter and DreamShell (you can use the ISO make pack on that page to create ISOs for the SD card) if you can't afford a Broadband Adapter for deploying and testing on your Dreamcast.  A serial cable would be beneficial if you are debugging your programs (of course, you can't use both the serial cable and the SD card adapter), or you could use the Broadband Adapter to send debug messages.

I'd recommend you get the DreamShell bootloader (which will not be the full DreamShell, you can boot from an SD card if you want) and KallistiOS.  If you can afford it, the Broadband Adapter will be ideal, otherwise an SD card adapter is a must.  For releasing the game for others to try, you should definitely get some CD-Rs and make sure you are able to create a good disc image.

I assume you are already aware of the Dreamcast homebrew development and discussion sites, if not, here they are:

Assembler Game's Sega Dreamcast Development and Research Forum

Dreamcast Emulation

Dreamcast Scene's Dreamcast Development Forum

DCEmu's Console/PC Homebrew, Emulation, Hacking and Development Forum

BOOB!

Edited by teh_programerer

Thank you for the links D,C. development. I think it;s a hard system to find websites that still cared about her,

So thank you.

Isn't that an image of P.S.O character? I'm sure you know, that came out one the Dreamcast first. 

Yeah, the Dreamcast scene has become vapid, to say the least.  Still, there are a few dedicated people still making games for it.

My avatar certainly is from PSO, it's Red Ring Rico.

I am a fervent Dreamcast fan, and I love PSO. I am afraid that my plans to develop for the Dreamcast never took off, so I won't be much help in that aspect, but I have several Dreamcasts and a vast array of accessories, including Broadband Adaptors and SD card adaptors. If you have questions, or would like someone to test that has the actual hardware, I may be able to help every now and again.

It's alive in the sense that a few games get released for it every now and then for a price.  It's definiately not something you can get a license from SEGA to have an official GD-ROM produced.  Which makes the release of Geist Force (a game cancelled before the Dreamcast was released and later leaked onto the Net) kind of unique.  As Geist Force's binary was generated from the official SDK and not from an alternative one which doesn't have a licensing agreement between SEGA and the developer.

So, i have this question about internet connectivity... In the ancient days (like about 9 years  ago, Ha-ha), when is was a super addicted P.S.O. player, we had the standard 56k connection, then.

Do i still have to have to hook it up using phone line, or is there a better way to connect? I'm almost positive there is... Could you please tell me how? I tried searching on E-BAY and my search met failure.  So i guess this question is aimed at Ectara, but feel free to contribute if you're not Ectara and you have any advise.

Can do i connect my Dreamcast to the internet, anymore? I need all the info you have because i plan on programming future games. I was a game programmer originally, but due to a nameless "friend", my library is lost. 

Good idea, or do you all have a better one?

Edited by Sckuz

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!